ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Free Trade Proposal

  • To: "Mike O'Connor" <mike@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Free Trade Proposal
  • From: Sivasubramanian M <isolatedn@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2010 01:56:35 +0530

Dear Mike and Berry,

The final version is one half of the original Free Trade proposal.

The essence of the original free trade model was a proposal that all limits
should  be completely lifted with a focus on the list of harms with the
observation that the discussion on limits actually distracts the attention
away from the
issues in vertical integration (Discrimination, Insider trading, Domain
registration
abuse, Domain tasting, Front-running, Predatory pricing, Account lock-ins,
Transfer out pricing, Less product variety)

In summary, one half of the proposal was that all limits are lifted. The
other half was that measures are devised to safeguard against harms.
Together it made the Free Trade proposal.

The revised proposal is emphatic on the first half of the original proposal.
But on harms, it observes that "The revised draft observes that "No harms
have been shown to have occurred unmanageably to date, in any namespace, due
to lack of VI/CO restrictions." and the toughest statement is " Clarity in
rules would greatly benefit new TLD operators"ICANN funding of contractual
compliance ... must match the demands of the new TLD expansion"

This is not enough to capture the spirit of the Free Trade proposal. What we
have here - at the moment - is an incomplete revision. If this revised
proposal intends to examine harms and propose measures to prevent harms, it
is not so reflected in this revision.

Sivasubramanian M