ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

[gnso-vi-feb10] POLL REMINDER -- please complete the consensus poll

  • To: Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [gnso-vi-feb10] POLL REMINDER -- please complete the consensus poll
  • From: "Mike O'Connor" <mike@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2010 07:28:38 -0500

hi all,

just a nudge note to remind you to try and complete the consensus poll within
two and a half hours of the time stamp on this email (roughly 3 hours before
today's call).  i will summarize the results as of then and post them to the
list so you'll have time to take a look at the results before the call.  i'll
leave the poll open, so you can continue to respond after that deadline.  but
more-responses-sooner will improve the quality of our phone conversation.

here's the link to the poll

        http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/Initial-report-poll

by the way, apologies are in order.  there's a setting that i overlooked when
writing up the poll that blocks multiple responses "from the same computer"
(whatever that means).  so if you found yourself blocked from taking the poll
after having reviewed it once, try again -- it should permit you to fill out
the poll now.

regarding the concerns raised about the poll

-- yep, the results will be revealed -- just like all the other ones

-- no, it's not a "vote" -- we (the working group) won't base any conclusions
on the poll results unless there's pretty overwhelming support for a molecule
or atom

-- nope, there aren't any overwhelming conclusions to be drawn.  the poll is
showing us what we already know -- that there are deep divisions.

-- Milton's points are spot on -- my goal throughout this process is to batter
you with techniques to find areas of agreement and this poll is just one in
that long series.

-- a number of people inside and outside the working group have asked for a
complete accounting of the proposals, and levels of support for each.  we'll
use the poll results to indicate that in the "proposals considered" Annex in
the report.

-- Brian, regarding the "restaurant menu" problem -- i think we have that
problem no matter what.  the current DAGv4 language leaves the Board plenty of
room to revise the VI component of the DAG, no matter what we say.  by
exhaustively documenting our work, i hold the hope that our efforts will
improve the quality of their decision even though we weren't able to make it
for them.

-- regarding the "hm, this is close, but not quite right" problems.  those are
*good* problems.  identify those.  come up with ideas that will move you into
the "i support this" category.  that's the discussion we'll be having while the
Initial Report is out for public comment.  maybe we can find one or two more
areas of agreement.

thanks,

mikey

phone   651-647-6109