ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] Notes on VI Draft Section 5.1

  • To: Antony Van Couvering <avc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] Notes on VI Draft Section 5.1
  • From: Milton L Mueller <mueller@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2010 11:38:13 -0400

Agree w Antony here. I have on numerous occasions expressed my feeling that
what was in the compliance document was not wrong or objectionable, but
irrelevant to many of the policy issues we are supposed to be focused on and/or
a set of internal prescriptions. I think it's enough for the Board to know that
if you remove ownership limits as an enforcement mechanism then you have to
strengthen other forms of compliance. The debate we are having is about what
rules should be complied with, and whether we can relax CO and VI restrictions
- not on whether some abstraction known as "compliance" is good.