ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Re: draft Report

  • To: Richard Tindal <richardtindal@xxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Re: draft Report
  • From: "Mike O'Connor" <mike@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2010 11:33:18 -0500

hum...

i was thinking along Berry's lines, that the short summaries were aimed at
Section 6 rather than the Exec Summary.  i agree -- summarizing the debate over
those proposals in any kind of neutral way is a monumental task.  it goes on
the "too hard" pile in my view.  so my thought would be that Section 6 has the
short summaries that y'all are preparing, the Exec Summary merely notes that
there *were* a number of proposals.

i'm also OK with a Section 6 that is 5 - 10 pages long (250 to 500 words for
each proposal).  it's one of our major work-products and worthy of the space.

not a strongly held view, but my two cents.

mikey

On Jul 18, 2010, at 11:22 AM, Richard Tindal wrote:

> I meant the Exec Summary,  but I think we have the same problem with Section
> 6.
>
> As I understand it,  Section 6 is intended to reflect the to and fro debate
> on each proposal over the last three months.  The advantages and support
> claimed by its advocates,  the disadvantages and opposition claimed by its
> critics,  the nature of discussion in the group,   etc.    Presumably there
> would be one per two pages per proposal -- so probably a 10 to 20 page
> Section.
>
> If the advocates of each proposal  are writing these sections I think its
> going to be very difficult for them to not slant the record in their favor.
> If I'm the writer for BRU1, for example,  I can use differing emphasis,
> omissions of detail,  and simply the nuance of words to give the report
> reader a more favorable view of my proposal.   Even with good faith on my
> part, my recollection of the BRU1 debate is going to be different from others
> in the group.
>
> Given the difficulty I perceive in writing Section 6,  and the clear absence
> of consensus on any proposal,  I'm wondering about the value of this section.
>
> If we feel we must have the section, I'm wondering if there's a more
> objective way to produce it than have proposal advocates create the draft.
>
> Comments welcome on this.
>
> RT
>

> On Jul 16, 2010, at 2:51 PM, Berry Cobb wrote:
>

>> Correct me if I am wrong, I thought these 250 or 500 word summaries were
>> going in to section 6, and just high-level mention of the proposals in the
>> Executive Summary.
>>
>> If not, then yes, I would support a 250 word limit for the executive
>> summary.
>>

>> Berry Cobb
>> Infinity Portals LLC
>> berrycobb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx