ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] ORP in less than 200 words

  • To: vgreimann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] ORP in less than 200 words
  • From: "Mike O'Connor" <mike@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 11:06:43 -0500

hi Volker,

i think this goes in the same category as Amadeu's note earlier in the day --
i'm not sure what we're going to do with this, but i don't think it's fair to
the WG to put it in Section 6.  we haven't subjected this proposal to the same
level of scrutiny, and we haven't polled on it.

again, sorry to be the bearer of bad news,

mikey

On Jul 19, 2010, at 10:18 AM, Volker Greimann - Key-Systems GmbH wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I hereby submit the bullet-point summary of the Open Registrar Proposal in
> less than 200 words. We, the original proponents feel that the proposal got
> significant support, and while we did not push it to the foreground in the
> past weeks and tried to build support for a compromise position, none of the
> current proposals reflect our vision of an open framework with equal
> opportunities for all parties involved in the new gTLD process. We believe
> the report should be as complete as possible, and not just limited to the
> recently discussed or polled positions.
>
> Without further ado, the condensed proposal:
>
> Open Proposal:
>
> Basic premise:
> - full cross-ownership and vertical integration of registries with
>  registrars (ccTLD model)
> - equal registrar access (Recommendation 19)
> - registrars can provide registry services as technical provider, under
>  seperate ICANN agreement, if necessary
>
> Goal:
>   -more innovation
>   -enabling diverse business/operational models
>   -less or no need for exceptions
>
> Fighting abuse and non-compliance (gaming) by:
>   -maintaining the requirement of all new TLDs for equal registrar
>     access
>         -mandatory
>        -registry may act as registrar in own TLD
>         -no discrimination between registrars
>         -equal connections, chances for new regs
>         -first-come, first-serve on all requests
>         -adequate support levels
>   -establishment of a strong yet flexible compliance framework
>        -clear rules of conduct
>         -reactive AND pro-active approach to abuse
>         -information firewalls or obligation to make generally
>         available information prone to abuse
>         -beefed-up (and well funded) ICANN compliance and enforcement
>                   teams
>               -random compliance checks
>               -compliance monitored by ICANN
>               -compliance also monitored by competitors (registrars,
>               registries)
>   -enforcement of an effective and strict penalty system based on
>    contractual agreements
>         -financial penalties
>         -restrictions or limits upon operation
>         -suspension of certain functions
>         -termination of accreditation/delegation agreement
>
> Possible exceptions:
> -true SRSU: equal registrar access requirement waived (for example
>  single-user dotBrands)
> -other exceptions not required as the proposal allows for varied
>   business models
>

> The

phone   651-647-6109
fax             866-280-2356