ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] polling -- picking up the pieces

  • To: "'Mike O'Connor'" <mike@xxxxxxxxxx>, <Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] polling -- picking up the pieces
  • From: "Roberto Gaetano" <roberto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2010 00:03:02 +0200

I would like to try to throw in a proposal. You might propose a poll for
accepting or rejecting it ;>)

Let me start by saying that the way the big poll was designed was not for
public consumption but for indication to the WG on the areas on which we
were converging to consensus vs the areas on which opinions were scattered
around. Let me also admit that the poll went a bit out of hand, as we added
questions as ideas came, neglecting the fact that at the end the result
would have been a table far too detailed and therefore far too complex, in
particular for the general public who has not followed the whole path we
went through to get there.

So, the main question is what could be useful (and simple enough) to be
provided for general availability. My personal answer is "the proposals".
The results of this part of the poll are easy to understand, reflect the
positions of the group, show that there is a wide diversity and (for the
time being) lack of consensus. Moreover, part 6 will give the major features
of the different proposals, and so people can immediately link the proposals
with the acceptance figures. So, it is right on the scope, easy to
understand, and meaningful.

In terms of formats, I would not disclose who voted what, just give the
results. The percentages are meaningful, individual votes would only create
unnecessary gossips on why somebody voted in that way. Also, a pie chart
visually showing the sizes of the "Yes";"No";"Maybe";"Uuh?" percentages
could give a more immediate picture to those who do not like going through
the figures.

All the rest of the information, about the atoms, is something we will have
to crunch and digest in the next weeks, so it is not wasted effort, is just
something not ready for prime time. We can mention in the report itself,
though, that several polls were taken (we have consensus on this, reading
the chat of today) to have a "show of hands" for checking whether we were
converging towards consensus.

Cheers,
Roberto