ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] New Revised SRSU Text - critics corner

  • To: "Rosette, Kristina" <krosette@xxxxxxx>, <gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] New Revised SRSU Text - critics corner
  • From: "Kathy Kleiman" <kKleiman@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2010 14:33:40 -0400

I agree fully with Ron that the SRSU piece should be significantly streamlined.

However, in the event that the text remains, then I will accept Kristina's
invitation at the end of the SRSU piece, namely: "Critics of the concept of an
SRSU exception contend that [text?]...."

ð  Critics of the concept of an SRSU exception note that the SRSU exception has
no consistency of interpretation and creates a danger of undermining the main
registry-registrar structures being proposed by many in the VI WG. In
particular, critics are concerned that SRSU domain names (second level) might
be handed out to third parties for wide-spread public use: bypassing Equivalent
Access, bypassing ICANN-Accredited Registrars and bypassing the main purpose
and reason for the Registry-Registrar separation to which DAG4, RACK and JN2
proposals are dedicated. Given that well-known names (both for-profit and
not-for-profit) are likely to be given only to their trademark owners, and
given that the strong need to develop details and compliance/enforcement models
-- should SRSUs distribute beyond their limits - those concerned in the WG felt
that SRSU should not be part of the first round of new gTLDs, but work for
definition, consensus and introduction in a latter round.

Best,

Kathy Kleiman

Director of Policy

.ORG The Public Interest Registry

Direct: +1 703 889-5756  Mobile: +1 703 371-6846

Visit us online!

Check out events & blogs at .ORG Buzz! <http://www.pir.org/orgbuzz>

Find us on Facebook | dotorg
<http://www.facebook.com/pages/dotorg/203294399456?v=wall>

See the .ORG Buzz! Photo Gallery on Flickr <http://flickr.com/orgbuzz>

See our video library on YouTube <http://youtube.com/orgbuzz>

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE:

Proprietary and confidential to .ORG, The Public Interest Registry.  If
received in error, please inform sender and then delete.