ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

[gnso-vi-feb10] On topic - Minority Reports

  • To: "'Gomes, Chuck'" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Avri Doria'" <avri@xxxxxxx>, <Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-vi-feb10] On topic - Minority Reports
  • From: "Roberto Gaetano" <roberto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2010 00:55:29 +0200

This is a serious discussion that has not to be dismissed with formal
statements.
I have to confess I have mixed feelings about minority reports. This will
surprise many that know where I am coming from.
I believe that although it is the right of every minority position to be
reflected in minority reports, the priority is still in reaching a
consensus, and reflect as much as possible the minority positions in the
global (as opposed to majority) report.
The way the internet community, and ICANN with it, is working is the
consensus of the stakeholders. Not the opinionb of the majority, to which
the minority has no other chance than the presentation of a minority
position.
As a co-chair, I would consider a major failure of my co-chairmanship the
presentation of a minority report, not because of the contents of the
report, but simply because of the evidence that the WG report was unable to
accommodate all points of wiew.
I think people went a long way in trying to drop some of their initial
requirements to achieve consensus. We are not yet ther, but we are moving
towards it. I appreciate Avri's decision to withdraw her intention to
present a minority report, and I fully understand her personal dilemma in
what to do, as it has not been an easy decision.
But I also have to applaud all the folks who have given up some points in
the effort to compromise. Some folks have never "threatened" to leave and
present a position from the "outside", but have silently listened and worked
for the common good.
In summary, I think that it is a *good thing* to point out when things get
so much out of hand that a minority report seems to be the only solution to
the inefficiency of the co-chairs to summarize in a consensus position the
status of the team, but it is an even *better thing* to see that a common
position has been found in the end.
I am personally enjoying a week of vacation with the family, so my
contribution in the next few days will be low, but maybe I will write a few
lines on an event I have witnessed some 10 days ago that might be relevant
to our group: the concert Muti has give in Trieste with the attendance of
the Presidents of Italy, Slovenia and Croatia, with the outspoken objective
to overcome the historical differences among these countries and to bring to
solution the pending issues, dating from WW2.
Best regards,
R.