ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Group on documenting "harms"

  • To: Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Group on documenting "harms"
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 16:50:12 +0200

Hi,

In one sense you are right.  No one ever knows what the future holds. So maybe
we should just quit where we are ahead and say, gee no idea.

But in another sense this is a normal risk analysis process in the face of
unknowns.

And indeed what we are talking about in terms of harms is risk analysis.  And
no analysis of the future of a system I know of, avoids risk analysis because
there are unknowns.

The reason I advocate that everyone do this exercise and that there be a
function of two values (harm, likelihood) is because in averaging the results
of many views and in determining the range (or stddev) we get an idea of what
the risk might be and to what extent there is agreement of that determination.
This is what people (especially those in business - if i remember my 25 years
in industry correctly) do in the face of uncertainty.

We can also do sub group analysis if it is of the value to see if there is a
different average from one type of respondent than another and to determine
whether their range/stddev is any different.

a.