ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Group on documenting "harms"

  • To: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Group on documenting "harms"
  • From: Volker Greimann <vgreimann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 17:03:36 +0200

 Hi all
In one sense you are right.  No one ever knows what the future holds. So maybe
we should just quit where we are ahead and say, gee no idea.
With that kind of reasoning, mankind would never have left the trees. There is always "unknown unkowns", but with proper planning, foresight and appropriate analysis, it is usually possible to contain the unknown dangers of living on the ground/outside caves/in a world with VI and CO.

But in another sense this is a normal risk analysis process in the face of
unknowns.
+1
And indeed what we are talking about in terms of harms is risk analysis.  And
no analysis of the future of a system I know of, avoids risk analysis because
there are unknowns.
Exactly. Lets put the harms on the table, discuss them, look at them and try to build general principles from them that will be able to deal with those harms specifically, but unknown harms as well. Civilization was built with the idea that there can be rules regulating human behaviour and discouraging abusive behavior.

Let us try to bring the rule of law to the world of new gTLDs instead of fearing the dragons that lurk near the edge of the world.

Best,

Volker