ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] Harms Project Draft - Registrant Harms

  • To: "Jeff Eckhaus" <eckhaus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] Harms Project Draft - Registrant Harms
  • From: "Kathy Kleiman" <kKleiman@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2010 14:49:26 -0400

Hi All,
I appreciate Jeff E. taking the first crack at this difficult issue. I am still
reviewing his Summary of Harms, but wanted to note that one category seems to
be missing - and "Registrant Harms/Consumer Protections." I realize that these
issue may be implicit in other points, but I think we should definitely make
them explicit.

As a first stab under "Registrant Harms/Consumer Protections" I would include:
-       Reduced choice, access and availability of domain names
-       Higher prices for domain names
-       Reduced access to registrars (who might operate in registrants'
language, currency and customs)
-       No clear avenue for compliance enforcement by those who are concerned
about violations

Best,

Kathy Kleiman
Director of Policy
.ORG The Public Interest Registry
Direct: +1 703 889-5756  Mobile: +1 703 371-6846

Visit us online!
Check out events & blogs at .ORG Buzz!
Find us on Facebook | dotorg
See the .ORG Buzz! Photo Gallery on Flickr
See our video library on YouTube

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE:
Proprietary and confidential to .ORG, The Public Interest Registry.  If
received in error, please inform sender and then delete.