ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

[gnso-vi-feb10] call for agenda items (puts forward a couple ideas, you may want to read this one)

  • To: vertical integration wg <Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-vi-feb10] call for agenda items (puts forward a couple ideas, you may want to read this one)
  • From: "Mike O'Connor" <mike@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2010 10:08:13 -0500

hi all,

i have a couple possible agenda items for us on Monday;

-- discuss the treatment of public comments (see below)

-- discuss our plans for moving forward (see below)

anything else?

here's the "below"...

public comments

i started taking a stab at filling out Mike Zupke's matrix and i found huge
repetition in the stuff i was typing.  i found myself replicating the clumping
that Mike has already done when i filled out the WG response column, and my
three "recommended actions" were;

        1) thank the person for their comment,

        2) hold the comment for consideration during VI Phase II and

        3) immediately forward the comments to the Board to inform their
decision on VI

so i'm thinking that we might shorten the process by simply saying those three
things, rather than debating all 119 of them individually

moving forward

i think i've introduced a bad concept into our discussion about the future, and
i'd like to unwind that.  i've been talking to Roberto about the need to
clarify that we are preparing the Final Report for **Phase I of the WG**, not
the whole WG.  there's a Phase II effort that we've told the Council we're
going to do (take a look at our status report, presented at Brussels).  i admit
that during the period right after getting the news from the Board, i was
tired/cranky and felt like it would just be better to wrap this up and head on
home.  but that's not what we've been chartered to do and we're on record as
saying that we're going to proceed with a next phase.  here's a little summary
of where i think we're at;

•The approach we've taken

         VI is “two PDPs in one” (referring back to our status report in
Brussels here)

                A short-term effort to try to arrive at 1st-round VI policy by
Cartagena (Phase I)

                A longer-term “normal” PDP to complete the items in our charter
(Phase II)

•Status

        –Phase I delivered a number of proposals and principles, but did not
arrive at a consensus view

        –Phase I Final Report is targeted for early November

        –Phase II was originally planned to start just after Cartagena

•Proposal

        –Start Phase II right after Cartagena (as we said in our status report)

        –Use the time between Cartagena and San Francisco on process (agree-to
and refine the charter/approach/workplan of Phase II)

        –Launch the substantive part of Phase II at SF

mikey

phone   651-647-6109
fax             866-280-2356
web     http://www.haven2.com