ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] public comments -- outline/points for the report

  • To: "Mike O'Connor" <mike@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] public comments -- outline/points for the report
  • From: Eric Brunner-Williams <ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2010 20:24:10 -0400

On 10/24/10 11:51 AM, Mike O'Connor wrote:

dear all,

one of my homework assignments was to come up with a starting point for
language about the public comments.  here are the key points that i think we
want to make.

-- thank those who submitted the comments

-- the working group reviewed the public comments with an eye to finding
information that would change the views expressed in the Initial Report or move
the group closer to consensus

When did the working group conduct this review?

Why would the review be limited to "finding information that would change the views expressed in the Initial Report or move the group closer to consensus", as neither the mandate of the working group, nor of comments on the work product of the working group, are limited to some policy for which consensus was imaginable (though data was not) between Nairobi and some point after Brussels and before Cartagena?

-- the comments did not move us closer to consensus

This isn't the relevant issue. Did they inform us? Yes, Brett raised the point that our treatment of "registrars" has not distinguished between registrars such as AOL, which appear to only serve the corporate goals of AOL as a registrant, and registrars which serve registrants generally. I made the point early on that "shell registrars" were not what we should consider as integrating entities, which is only one form of registrar vs registrars distinction. Brett raised another, so the entire range of "what is a registrar" as opposed to "what is an ICANN registrar contract", has been overlooked.

If we placed conditions on registrars, we might find the objections to integration altered. We don't know that, so this is an area which we had insufficient time to explore.

There may be other examples.

-- the comments will be included in the Phase I Final Report as a resource for
the working group as it continues its work in Phase II

let's tune these points up and then we can hand them off to Margie for
insertion into the report.

thoughts?

You now have mine.

Eric