ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] refined version of Roberto's bullet-points -- pls review/comment within 24 hours

  • To: Eric Brunner-Williams <ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Mike O'Connor" <mike@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] refined version of Roberto's bullet-points -- pls review/comment within 24 hours
  • From: Alan Greenberg <alan.greenberg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2010 23:46:49 -0400

At 25/10/2010 06:36 PM, Eric Brunner-Williams wrote:

On 10/25/10 2:33 PM, Mike O'Connor wrote:

> ? Compliance is key (the working group spent a considerable amount of time discussing the issue). Whatever the rules established for the new TLDs, we need adequate leadership, processes and resources in place to enforce them;

Please note that we do not have consensus on this point.

So I'd like to see "adequate leadership, processes and resources"
changed to "reasonable goals, adequate staffing, risk informed
processes and resources"

Eric, I agree that it would be foolish to adopt rules that difficult or impossible to enforce, and that reasonable goals are desirable. But I am far too pragmatic to believe that we will do this. Whatever the rules and goals, we better prepare to have compliance deal with it. So I generally like the original statement. Except for the "adequate leadership" part. We want someone who got more than a C+ on leadership qualities!

Alan