ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-whois-dt]

[gnso-whois-dt] FW: Further community input requested on "working definitions" for WHOIS study terminology

  • To: "gnso-whois-dt@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-whois-dt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-whois-dt] FW: Further community input requested on "working definitions" for WHOIS study terminology
  • From: Glen de Saint Géry <Glen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2009 14:43:20 -0800

Forwarded from Liz Gasster:
________________________

You may recall that on 23 December draft "working definitions" were distributed
for several terms that are being used in the context of GNSO Council
discussions of possible future studies of WHOIS.  At the Cairo meeting, GNSO
Council members identified eight terms and asked staff to develop initial
working definitions that the Council could use as a starting point for further
discussion and definition. In order to respond to the Council's request, staff
solicited definitions for these terms from GNSO Council members and community
stakeholders.  We also researched and reviewed ICANN meeting transcripts,
policy and compliance documents and constituency position statements, as well
as other reference papers and pulled together a draft based on that input and
research.   The attached are two documents reflecting next steps on that
effort, as follows:

I highlighted the key terms in the chart of WHOIS hypotheses:  I highlighted
each instance in the WHOIS chart of study hypotheses where the terms we are
defining are actually used, so that the reader can see the context in which
each term is being applied.  The chart is simply a cut-and-paste from the final
hypotheses list in the GNSO Council's 26 August WHOIS hypotheses report, to
make it easier to see how the terms are used.
I updated the list of working definitions distributed back in December, which
reflects the following changes:  First, I have added the study numbers where
each of the terms are actually used so the reader can hopefully more easily
find them and read them in context.  Second, I want to bring to your attention
comments that I've added in-line for two of the terms: 1) "undesirable content"
which I think should be changed to "illegal or undesirable activities";   and
2) "adequate protective measures", which is alternately referred to in various
hypotheses as "(roughly) effective technical measures", "effective methods" and
"adequate corrective measures".  In my comments I suggest a new, streamlined
definition for "illegal or undesirable activities" which we would appreciate
input on that comment as well. The other in-line edits are suggestions made by
GNSO Council members and other constituency participants on Council WHOIS
calls, your comments and further edits are requested and encouraged on all
edits and text provided.

The GNSO Council is requesting input by 16 January 2009 so that the input can
be considered when the Council meets later this month.

Please provide edits and comments to
policy-staff@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:policy-staff@xxxxxxxxx>.

Thanks, Liz Gasster

Please note that the attached draft "working definitions" does not represent
the viewpoints or positions of ICANN or ICANN staff.