ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-whois-study]

[gnso-whois-study] Whois Study Working Group - INDOM's ranking

  • To: "'GNSO.SECRETARIAT@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <gnso.secretariat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <gnso-whois-study@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-whois-study] Whois Study Working Group - INDOM's ranking
  • From: Stéphane Van Gelder <stephane.vangelder@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 11:11:21 +0200

>From Stéphane Van Gelder, representing the registrar INDOM.

While we welcome any additional information on the WHOIS issue and are
therefore in favour of the studies currently undertaken by the Whois Working
Group, we are mindful of the frustrations generated by numerous past studies
on the subject and the perceived lack of action following those studies.

We therefore recommend that any further study work be linked to some firm
undertaking of progress.

We also recommend that any study be limited in scope in order to keep
timeframes short and costs reasonable.

Of the 7 proposed study categories, we consider only 3 should be studied.
The other categories seem either too far-reaching for us to imagine they can
lead to concrete progress on the Whois issue, or have already been looked at
to some extent.

The 3 categories we would like to see work done on, in order of importance,
are:

2. Compliance with data protection laws and RAA.

3. Availability of privacy services.

4. Demand and motivation for use of privacy services.

In addition, we would add a fourth category to study the way in which Whois
databases are managed on selected ccTLDs such as .FR, .EU, .COM.AU or .BR
for example. We feel that solutions used on ccTLD Whois databases, which
have either been imposed by local market forces or legal requirements, might
usefully be applied to gTLD Whois systems. In any case, we feel that
allowing a schism to grow between gTLD and ccTLD Whois solutions is not
good.

Stéphane Van Gelder
Directeur Général / General manager

INDOM – Noms de domaine / Domain names
124-126, rue de Provence
75008 Paris. France
0820 77 7000
(Prix d'un appel local)
De l'étranger (calling from outside France): + 33 1 76 70 05 67
 <http://www.indom.com/> www.indom.com

Daily domain name industry news:  <http://www.domaines.info/>
www.domaines.info

Mon blog/My blog :  <http://www.domaines.info/> www.stephanevangelder.com