ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-whois-study]

[gnso-whois-study] 15 April WHOIS call review and next steps

  • To: "gnso-whois-study@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-whois-study@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-whois-study] 15 April WHOIS call review and next steps
  • From: Liz Gasster <liz.gasster@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 09:48:57 -0700

All,

Thanks so much to those who were able to participate on Tuesday's call, and
especially to those who contributed initial views on suggested priority levels
for various study options.  Following is a short overview of the call and next
steps agreed to by the group:

1. Call overview:

*       The group discussed getting more information on what would be required
to implement the IRIS protocol from both a technical and policy perspective,
Liz will follow up on this for the next call
*       The group discussed whether any studies on WHOIS should be conducted.
4 participants think that more studies of WHOIS will not break the current
impasse.  Roughly nine participants think certain studies of WHOIS would be
very useful and could provide new insights and information.  This group thinks
several of the studies are finely targeted and carefully crafted to ask new
questions and elicit new insights.
*       Beau Brendler briefed the group on an upcoming survey of WHOIS
questions that his group is soliciting as part of a broader survey of New
Yorkers on Internet consumer issues.  They intend to publish their results by
June.
*       Wendy and Danny recommend sunsetting current WHOIS requirements
currently applicable in RAA and registry contracts in the absence of consensus
-- to make the issue compelling and generate increased motivation to find
consensus
*       We did not talk in detail about the specific studies in a systematic
way on this call, though several study proponents described how their proposals
would provide useful additional insights in their judgment.  Steve Del Bianco
emphasized the importance of the first three study proposals in this context.

2. Next steps:

*       Liz will update the summary to pull the policy goals identified for
each proposed survey into the text so they can be easily identified - though I
might try another format for this, to be determined.
*       Each participant will send TO THE WHOLE LIST PLEASE your rank order
preferences for further studies of WHOIS - please rank each of the 7 categories
of studies, not the individual studies, by top preference to lowest.  We will
consider the individual studies in a future round.  Please send to the list by
Monday AM to give us all a chance to review by the next call.
*       We need to provide an update to the Council on our progress following
the next call.  It is my educated guess that we will not finish on Tuesday, so
we need to provide an estimate of when we think we will be done.  Let's plan to
agree on recommending a new date on the next call.  I'll suggest May 22 (4 more
weeks) to throw out a date for discussion, but I'm glad to try to do faster.
*       Liz - IRIS follow up

Please let me know if I've missed anything and also feel free to add additional
comments, emphasis...

Next call is at the some time, April 22, per earlier email from Glen.

Thanks, Liz