ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-whois-study]

[gnso-whois-study] Rank order preferences of Whois categories

  • To: <gnso-whois-study@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-whois-study] Rank order preferences of Whois categories
  • From: "Steve DelBianco" <sdelbianco@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2008 21:59:00 -0400

Per our 15-April call, here are my rank-order preferences for further
studies of Whois.

Each of the study categories could produce information that would be
useful if and when GNSO considers further policy questions regarding
changes to Whois.   Since neither consensus nor funding are obviously
forthcoming, it is useful to rank these study categories, from highest
to lowest preference.   My own rankings are given considering the unique
value and likely cost of the studies proposed.

1. (3) Availability of privacy services.
2. (4) Demand and motivation for use of privacy services.
3. (6) Proxy registrar compliance with law enforcement and dispute
resolution requests.
4. (1) WHOIS misuse
5. (5) Impact of WHOIS data protection on crime and abuse.
6. (2) Compliance with data protection laws/registrar accreditation
agreements.
7. (7) WHOIS data accuracy.

Steve DelBianco
executive director, NetChoice