ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-whois-study]

Re: [gnso-whois-study] 15 April WHOIS call review and next steps

  • To: Liz Gasster <liz.gasster@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-whois-study] 15 April WHOIS call review and next steps
  • From: Eric Brunner-Williams <ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 21:30:27 -0700

Liz, and study group contributors,

First, my apologies for not responding sooner, and for missing yesterday's call, it conflicted with a conference call that I coordinate as CTO of CORE.

Second, I simply want to mention that I've been involved with "whois" since Ken Herrenstein, Mary Stahl and Jake Feinler wrote RFC 954 in 1985, and in the early "modern period" (ICANN MdR 11/00 and IETF-51 8/01), with Dave Crocker, held the WhoisFix BoF, and a year later wrote the first Internet Draft to change the status RFC 954 from "Unknown" to "Historic" -- an effort to drive a wooden stake through the heart of something that should have died when DARPA transfered control of net 10 to the NSF. Leslie Daigle of Verisign gets the honor for getting RFC 954 obsoleted however, as VGRS promoted first "Universal WHOIS" and later (and to the present) its IRIS (IETF CRISP WG) product.

Third, I had the pleasure of listening to Dr. Cranor on many P3P Spec Working Group calls, and occasionally made some suggestions, but more relevant to this activity, I took the P3P model of data collection policy and added it to the EPP specification, providing registries the ability to announce their data collection policies to registrars, which in turn allows registrars to announce that, and any additional data collection policies the registrar may have, such as for its websites, to end user registrars.

In a nutshell, the server (registry) announces its data collection policy when a client (registrar) initiates a session, and the policy applies to all data in the session. If the XML makes you sleepy, don't worry, it has that effect on me too and you can scroll down ... but before you fall asleep or scroll madly down, at a high level P3P attempted to create a mechanism to allow the EU's Data Protection Directive, the OEDC hybrid model, and US contractual privacy to be expressed in legal prose and the soporific verse of well-formed XML.

Enjoy.

  <!--
  Data Collection Policy types.
  -->
    <complexType name="dcpType">
      <sequence>
        <element name="access" type="epp:dcpAccessType"/>
        <element name="statement" type="epp:dcpStatementType"
         maxOccurs="unbounded"/>
        <element name="expiry" type="epp:dcpExpiryType"
         minOccurs="0"/>
      </sequence>
    </complexType>

    <complexType name="dcpAccessType">
      <choice>
        <element name="all"/>
        <element name="none"/>
        <element name="null"/>
        <element name="other"/>
        <element name="personal"/>
        <element name="personalAndOther"/>
      </choice>
    </complexType>

    <complexType name="dcpStatementType">
      <sequence>
        <element name="purpose" type="epp:dcpPurposeType"/>
        <element name="recipient" type="epp:dcpRecipientType"/>
        <element name="retention" type="epp:dcpRetentionType"/>
      </sequence>
    </complexType>

    <complexType name="dcpPurposeType">
      <sequence>
        <element name="admin"
         minOccurs="0"/>
        <element name="contact"
         minOccurs="0"/>
        <element name="other"
         minOccurs="0"/>
        <element name="prov"
         minOccurs="0"/>
      </sequence>
    </complexType>

    <complexType name="dcpRecipientType">
      <sequence>
        <element name="other"
         minOccurs="0"/>
        <element name="ours" type="epp:dcpOursType"
         minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="unbounded"/>
        <element name="public"
         minOccurs="0"/>
        <element name="same"
         minOccurs="0"/>
        <element name="unrelated"
         minOccurs="0"/>
      </sequence>
    </complexType>

    <complexType name="dcpOursType">
      <sequence>
        <element name="recDesc" type="epp:dcpRecDescType"
         minOccurs="0"/>
      </sequence>
    </complexType>

    <simpleType name="dcpRecDescType">
      <restriction base="token">
        <minLength value="1"/>
        <maxLength value="255"/>
      </restriction>
    </simpleType>

    <complexType name="dcpRetentionType">
      <choice>
        <element name="business"/>
        <element name="indefinite"/>
        <element name="legal"/>
        <element name="none"/>
        <element name="stated"/>
      </choice>
    </complexType>

    <complexType name="dcpExpiryType">
      <choice>
        <element name="absolute" type="dateTime"/>
        <element name="relative" type="duration"/>
      </choice>
    </complexType>

Turning to the in-scope Public Suggestions, following the same organization as the Cranor/Gasster report of 02/25/08

Suggestions #1, #14, #15 and #21, the first category (aka "WHOIS misuse"), can not generate significantly new data, and the technique proposed in particular in #14 and #15 is quite naive, though in principle, seeding the stream of domain add operations with covert samples could be used to monitor a wide range of registrar and registry operational art. Unfortunately, ICANN's operational art has not reached the stage of technical maturity to engage in direct systematic covert observation of the primary users of the DNS. So these are a waste of time.

Suggestions #16, #22 and #23, the second category (aka "compliance with data protection laws and the RAA") revisits without the benefit of prior work the general corpus of the W3C's P3P activity, which is why I mentioned it in such tedious detail above. We have three general legal regimes, EU, OEDC, and US, and there is very little to be gained from attempting to collect stamps from every country. The leading DP jurisdictions, and I'm personally fond of Berlin, should be known simply because they are leading, but everything else is just noise at the general studies level.

Suggestions #2 and #5 may validate the theory that there exists a market for privacy, but that is as useful as validation of a theory that gravity exists.

Suggestions #17, #18 and #19 share the basic property of Suggestions #2 and #5, of validating, from the other side of the check out counter, the theory that there exists a market for privacy.

Suggestion #6 is simply daft. Domain price is the principle driver, as every registrar gets "bulk purchase" inquiries looking for registrar margins of a small fractional part of the VGRS base cost. It also overlooks the temporal properties of the overwhelming modes of fraudulent use, the scam is done within days, within the event horizon of the AGP, so any check that passes the major credit card authentication checks and is fraudulent will also pass any commercially feasible "restrictive access". Suggestion #13 has the slight, slight originality of suggesting that there may be a weak corrolation between attack assets which are thrown away within hours, and at most days, of initial use, and "bomb proof hosting services", which generally host long-term non-fraudulent businesses such as sex sites and bulk mailers (spammers).

Suggestion #12 assumes the creation of a persistent identifier creates a law enforcement interest. This of course is insane.

The domain names:

"3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944592.com"
or
"edge-cases-in-memory-allocators.net"
or
"issues-in-indigenous-character-repertoires-and-sort-orders-and-classic-mayan.org"

are persistent identifiers. Their creation causes no "law enforcement interest" to arise, outside of police states such as the former DDR.

Suggestions #3 simply revisits the RAA terrain, to no useful effect, and #20 is yet another flight of fantasy of the IPC looking for more "data" to support their business model, and they've quite a few bits out of that wrinkled apple.

Suggestion Metalitz (Hi Steve!) proposes to measure "self-inflicted injury". Who really cares if people chose to be stupid, with adverse outcomes only to their interests? Measuring dumbness is fun, but is it useful?

Suggestions #8 and #11 are simply funny. In a universe of 120,000,000 domains, of which 27,000,000 are some form of monitization scheme (aka "parked domains"), some statistical properties are to be extracted from some samples, oh, and IDNs are bad, because, um, we don't speak IDN.

In a perfect universe, so one without ICANN and quite a bit else, like every LEO I've ever met, and I've advised the Chief Scientist of the NSA, which is why we have CERT today, studies of the temporal characteristics of criminal commercial enterprises applied to the DNS, the Microsoft monopoly market and "palative" after-markets, and the IPv4 allocations, aka "ISPs" would be productive.

This pile of "suggestions" is incurious and uniformed at best, at worst, its more time spent walking around a wicked dead horse we'd all be better off burying rather than trying to saddle up and ride off to some fairy castle.

I greatly appreciate Dr. Cranor and Counselor Gasster expending the time, and patience, to sort and analyze this sack of muck. I hope they charged K Street hourly rates.

Cheers,
Eric Brunner-Williams