ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-wpm-dt]

Re: [gnso-wpm-dt] Update/summary from today's prioritization call

  • To: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-wpm-dt] Update/summary from today's prioritization call
  • From: Olga Cavalli <olgac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2009 23:02:27 -0300

Thanks Liz and Ken for summarizing what we discussed today and next steps,
thanks also Chuck for your comments,
See mine below.
We welcome comments from other members of this working team.
Regards
Olga

2009/11/23 Gomes, Chuck <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

>  Thanks Liz and Ken.  Please note my comments below.
>
> Chuck
>
>  ------------------------------

Olga: I think is ok that in this stage we include all projects, then we
decide what to prioritize and how. In this sense we also follow up  IDN PDP
WG1  and ccNSO, we should add them?

> *Step 2)           *Solidify the definitions for the two axes/dimensions
> (X, Y).   The definitions below incorporate Chuck’s recent additions and are
> submitted to the team for further refinement and improvement.
>
> *X – Difficulty/Cost … this dimension relates to perceptions of complexity
> (e.g. technical), intricacy (e.g. many moving parts to coordinate), lack of
> cohesion (e.g. many competing interests), length of time needed/expected;
> availability/scarcity of resources and, therefore, overall cost to develop a
> recommendation.
> *
>
> Olga: I still have doubts about the cost variable, but perhaps we should
make a first round to check how it shows and works for the projects.

> * *
>
> *Y – Value/Benefit … this dimension relates to perceptions of benefit to
> ICANN and its stakeholders in terms of internet growth/expansion, enhancing
> competitiveness, increasing security/stability, and improving the user
> experience.  Qualitative factors might include:  extent/breadth of Internet
> community impacted and criticality of project in resolving serious
> problems.  *
>

> Target Completion Date:  *Tuesday, 1 Dec 2009*  (finalize at next
> teleconference-TBD)
> [Gomes, Chuck] Good start on this.
>

> *Step 3)           *Utilize this drafting team to exercise and test the
> ranking/rating methodology as a proof-of-concept:
>
> a)      Ensure that the process is user-friendly and straightforward to
> execute
>
> b)     As a byproduct of testing, realistic outputs will be created to
> show what they might look like once the process is actually completed by the
> entire Council; that is, results/outcomes will be easier to comprehend than
> a “conceptual” or “hypothetical” model.
>
> Staff suggests that the WP-DT use exactly the methodology that it will
> recommend to the Council, that is, if each Council member will be asked to
> rate/rank individually, then the drafting team should do the same in its
> test.   If, instead, the team thinks that the Council should form sub-groups
> to produce consensus rankings/ratings, then Staff suggests that the WP-DT do
> likewise.   Incidentally, this team could choose to execute one or more
> different approaches and, after comparing the pros/cons of those various
> trials, decide which one combines the best features.
>
> If only one option will be tested, then, this team needs to choose:
>
> a)      Should projects be rated (relatively) with a scale such as H, M, L
> or ranked numerically?  If the latter option is selected, should ties be
> permitted, that is, can two projects be ranked the same (e.g. 1-1-3-4-5-5-7
> …)?  [Gomes, Chuck]  I prefer numerical rating because it allows for more
> differentiation.  Ties are fine in my opinion.
>
> Olga: yes ties may exist and two projects could be ranked the same, why
not?

> b)     Should Council members rate/rank individually or should sub-groups
> be formed to discuss and recommend a single consensus answer from each one?
>
> Olga: I think sub-groups may be easier and the excersice could add value to
the group.

--
Olga Cavalli, Dr. Ing.
www.south-ssig.com.ar