ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-wpm-dt]

[gnso-wpm-dt] Re: WPM-DT: Step 3a (Rating Test #1 - In Progress)

  • To: "Ken Bour" <ken.bour@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-wpm-dt] Re: WPM-DT: Step 3a (Rating Test #1 - In Progress)
  • From: Stéphane Van Gelder <stephane.vangelder@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 18:51:11 +0100

> Your understanding of the scaling as applied to both dimensions is correct.
> We can make that point clearer to future raters and appreciate the feedback.
(Stéphane) I think that might be useful.

> Regarding the X axis, a question was asked during the early planning stages
> whether any reliable hard data could be made available, but we concluded that
> it would be incomplete at best and, possibly, misleading.   Only attendance
> records are kept for work teams, which represents a partial cost, but would
> not be indicative of the total effort expended.  Also, for this
> prioritization exercise, we have been trying to steer away from having hard
> dollar cost be the primary driver for X, preferring, instead, more of a
> “soft” cost.  As you will recall, the team had removed the word “cost” from
> the definition completely.  The term “budget” was introduced based upon your
> recent input.  Thinking about raters to come, since hard cost/budget data
> does not exist for these projects, should we consider returning to a
> definition that is even less quantitative?
(Stéphane) I understand the rationale and light of this, suggest leaving things
as they are for now.

> One thought is that there probably is some natural correlation between value
> and cost, that is, the more expensive things are and the harder we have to
> work for them, the higher they are prized.  This relationship may become more
> pronounced once projects and activities have started vs. before they actually
> begin.  Expressions like, “ Don’t throw good money after bad” derive from the
> human proclivity to salvage sunk costs and confuse effort/activity with
> outcomes.  In our case, we are prioritizing ACTIVE projects several of which
> are more than half-completed.  We thus have more information about them than
> we might have at their instantiation and initial prioritization.  Could any
> of the above be factors at work?

(Stéphane) Those were might thoughts as well (that there is a natural
correlation). Unsure if we can find a simple or useful way of integrating that
in our model. Unsure whether we should even try.

Thanks,

Stéphane