ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-wpm-dt]

[gnso-wpm-dt] WPM: Section 6 (Draft #5) and Annex (Draft #2)

  • To: <gnso-wpm-dt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-wpm-dt] WPM: Section 6 (Draft #5) and Annex (Draft #2)
  • From: "Ken Bour" <ken.bour@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 17:06:04 -0400

WPM Team Members:

Attached are two documents that I have modified based on our discussion
yesterday plus additional thoughts I had after multiple readings.

Section 6:

1)      I reorganized Section 6 in parts to try and isolate the "project
management" issues and handle them more cleanly in the context of Work
Prioritization.  In addition, I relocated the "New Projects" material to the
Annex - Step 1.

2)      You will notice that I changed the title of "Prioritized" and
"Non-Prioritized" Projects to "Eligible" and "Non-Eligible."   I am
recommending this language or something similar because, until a
prioritization occurs, the list is actually not prioritized.  Calling a
group of projects to be prioritized as already prioritized became confusing
as I read and edited the material.   I think it may confuse Councilors also
since Section 6 is about the act of prioritizing projects.   I thought it
might work better find other suitable nomenclature.   Does anyone like
"Qualified" and "Not-Qualified" better?   If so, it will be an easy
find/replace once we settle on something or, alternatively, I can put it
back the way it was.

3)      To improve clarity, I made a number of additional text edits --
submitted for the team's review and approval.   I removed all of the
comments in this Section, but left track changes on so that you could see
what I did to the content.

ANNEX:

1)      Revised Step 1 so that both (a) changes to existing projects and (b)
adding new projects are now part of updating the official lists vs.
appearing to relate to the Council's ongoing management responsibilities.

2)      In 2.3, I provided for a 10 calendar day period during which
Councilors would rate individually (Jaime's recommendation).

3)      I also took Jaime's suggestion and created 2.3.1 to highlight the
calculation of the Range statistic.

4)      In 3.1.1, I thought we might try leaving out a specific time
requirement.  I generalized the procedure and added a specific footnote
about duration and how it might be reduced as the Council gains experience.
Does that work for everyone?

5)      I made several changes to 3.2 to reflect the comments that were
inserted by Liz, Chuck, and Jaime.   I left all embedded comments intact
since we have not discussed them yet.

6)      I did not introduce a new section (yet) for "Tie Breaking" until we
have an opportunity to discuss whether or not it belongs in the current
ANNEX.   It is mentioned in Section 6, but without any specific details.  I
am still concerned that rating Difficulty will only arise when there is
resource contention and an inability to handle multiple projects.  When that
happens, the Council would then rely on Difficulty to break a tie on Value
-- if needed.   I don't see it coming up in the context of prioritizing.

Hopefully, we can work toward approving Section 6 via the email list, then
clean it up and mark it DONE on, if not before, our next session.   Then, we
can focus most of our time on the ANNEX and maybe make significant progress
on it this coming Monday.

We only have two remaining sessions after Monday, 29 March.   I think we
should reserve the last one, 12 April, for discussion of logistics, e.g.
preparing/sending the documents to the Council, approving an email cover
letter (I will take a shot at drafting one), thoughts about training, and
any other questions that we think might come up once the Council receives
both Section 6 and the ANNEX.   Perhaps we can allocate some time to discuss
what the team will recommend to the Council as it concerns the continuation
of the WPM-DT.   One possibility, for example, could be the continuing
evolution of these procedures, which could be extended to address the
Council's managerial role and how project prioritizations factor into its
decision-making.

Ken Bour