ICANN ICANN Email List Archives


<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

[gnso-wpm-dt] ENC: [council] FW: Joint Working Group to consider concept of DNS CERT

  • To: "'Ken Bour'" <ken.bour@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-wpm-dt] ENC: [council] FW: Joint Working Group to consider concept of DNS CERT
  • From: "Jaime Plug In" <jaime@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2010 18:35:38 -0300


I think this is an opportunity to clarify the process of adding new projects to 
our list of eligible ones.

Jaime Wagner
Cel (51) 8126-0916
Fax (51) 3123-1708

-----Mensagem original-----
De: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx] Em nome 
de Tim Ruiz
Enviada em: sexta-feira, 11 de junho de 2010 13:45
Para: GNSO Council 
Assunto: RE: [council] FW: Joint Working Group to consider concept of DNS CERT

How does this fit into our prioritization efforts? It's not on the
current list of 15 projects. I would think that the RrSG would be
interested in this effort, but I also think we need to figure out how it
fits overall on the priority list. Of course, something we (RrSG) noted
when completed our ratings was that three or four of the listed projects
are very near end.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: RE: [council] FW: Joint Working Group to consider concept of
From: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, June 11, 2010 10:05 am
To: <KnobenW@xxxxxxxxxx>, <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I made similar points to Chris Wolf.  He understands that a charter
cannot be completed before Brussels but would just like to see the work
getting started on the charter. I totally support your suggestion, i.e.,
�The intention and the status could be announced by Chris and yourself
in Brussels and the chartering team could start drafting immediately
afterwards.�, and believe he is comfortable with that as well.
But I would like to identify all charter DT volunteers by then if not
before if possible.
Thanks for the good comments.
From: KnobenW@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:KnobenW@xxxxxxxxxx] 
Sent: Friday, June 11, 2010 10:50 AM
To: Gomes, Chuck; council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: AW: [council] FW: Joint Working Group to consider concept of

I understand Chris' request but would like to ask if the time pressure
is that much that immediate action (before Brussels) is needed.
We're really busy to cover all the more urgent items (e.g. New gTLDs,
VI, PDP...) until that event.
To avoid misunderstanding: there's great interest on CSG side to
actively participate in a (pre-)WG offering technical, operational and
managerial expertise, as well for chartering. But I don't see capacity
available to be provided for immediate action.

The intention and the status could be announced by Chris and yourself in
Brussels and the chartering team could start drafting immediately



Von: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Im Auftrag von Gomes, Chuck
Gesendet: Freitag, 11. Juni 2010 03:41
An: council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Betreff: [council] FW: Joint Working Group to consider concept of DNS
Wichtigkeit: Hoch
I forwarded the following message to the Council the yesterday and added
the topic to our agenda for our meeting under Other Business. 
Unfortunately, as we ran out of time, I failed to cover it.  My intent
was to simply ask if anyone objected to considering the formation of a
WG as described by Chris and if not, to request volunteers to start
working on a possible charter with volunteers from the ccNSO.  So I will
ask those questions now:
1.       Does anyone object to considering the formation of such a WG? 
Note that we would not make an official decision to support such a WG
until after we see a draft charter.  If anyone objects, please
communicate your objection not later than next Wednesday, 16 June.
2.       Assuming there is no opposition, who would like to volunteer
for the charter drafting team?  Note that this is not a request for
volunteers for what might eventually be a WG, but only for a charter DT.
Regarding question 2, there have already been some volunteers in
response to my message yesterday:
�         Terry Davis (NCA)
�         Rafik Damik (NCSG)
�         Greg Aaron (RySG, Afilias)
�         Kathy Kleiman (RySG, PIR)
�         Keith Drazek (RySG, VeriSign).
If anyone else wants to volunteer, please communicate your interest on
this list not later than next Wednesday, 16 June.  We will then
communicate the names and contact information to the ccNSO.
Thanks, Chuck
From: Chris Disspain [mailto:ceo@xxxxxxxxxxx] 
Sent: Tuesday, June 08, 2010 9:54 PM
To: Gomes, Chuck
Cc: 'Cheryl Langdon-Orr'
Subject: Joint Working Group to consider concept of DNS CERT

In our conversation last week we discussed the possibility of the gNSO
and ccNSO (along with other relevant ACs and independent experts)
setting up the working group contemplated in the joint Chair�s letter
to ICANN of 25 March 2010 as soon as possible. 
I put this proposal to the ccNSO council on our call of 8 June and
confirm that the council has agreed that in the event of the proposal
also being agreed by the gNSO council, a small joint drafting team
should work before Brussels to draft the charter for the establishment
of a Working Group comprising representatives of ICANN�s Security and
Stability Advisory Committee, Root Server System Advisory Committee,
GAC, ALAC, CERT operators and ccTLD and gTLD managers to draw upon their
collective expertise and to solicit their input on:
�         the broad concept of a DNS-CERT;
�         the current work being undertaken to mitigate DNS-related
�         the actual level, frequency and severity of these threats;
�         the gaps (if any) in the current security response to DNS
�         whether or not a DNS-CERT is a proposal they support; and
�         if so, the logistics of the proposal.
The goal would be to have the charter approved by the ccNSO and gNSO in
Brussels if possible so that we can announce the formation of the
working group. I�m guessing that formally the working group will need
to be a joint gNSO ccNSO group (as the 2 relevant supporting
organisations that can actually make policy) with the charter mandating
the involvement of the relevant ACs and outside experts. 
In the event that the gNSO council does approve the proposal then the
action items will be a) to call for some volunteers to do the drafting
along with Bart Boswinkel as ccNSO staff and an equivalent gNSO person
and b) to approach the other ACs to inform them that this is occurring.
I understand your council meets on 10 June 2010 and look forward to
hearing from you regarding your discussions.
Chris Disspain | Chief Executive Officer
.au Domain Administration Ltd
T: 1300 732 929 | F: 03 8341 4112
E: ceo@xxxxxxxxxxx | W:www.auda.org.au
auDA - The Australian Domain Name Administrator
Important Notice - This email may contain information which is
confidential and/or subject to legal privilege, and is intended for the
use of the named addressee only. If you are not the intended recipient,
you must not use, disclose or copy any part of this email. If you have
received this email by mistake, please notify the sender and delete this
message immediately. Please consider the environment before printing
this email.

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus
signature database 5183 (20100608) __________

The message was checked by ESET Smart Security.


<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy