ICANN ICANN Email List Archives


<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

RE: [gnso-wpm-dt] ENC: [council] FW: Joint Working Group to consider concept of DNS CERT

  • To: "Jaime Plug In" <jaime@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Ken Bour" <ken.bour@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-wpm-dt] ENC: [council] FW: Joint Working Group to consider concept of DNS CERT
  • From: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2010 08:57:20 -0400


I assume you mean after the current exercise.  Is that correct?  If so, I 
definitely agree and, in fact, believe that that is something we had 


> -----Original Message-----
> From: owner-gnso-wpm-dt@xxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-gnso-wpm-dt@xxxxxxxxx]
> On Behalf Of Jaime Plug In
> Sent: Saturday, June 12, 2010 5:36 PM
> To: 'Ken Bour'
> Cc: gnso-wpm-dt@xxxxxxxxx
> Subject: [gnso-wpm-dt] ENC: [council] FW: Joint Working Group to
> consider concept of DNS CERT
> Ken,
> I think this is an opportunity to clarify the process of adding new
> projects to our list of eligible ones.
> Jaime Wagner
> jaime@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Cel (51) 8126-0916
> Fax (51) 3123-1708
> -----Mensagem original-----
> De: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
> Em nome de Tim Ruiz
> Enviada em: sexta-feira, 11 de junho de 2010 13:45
> Para: GNSO Council
> Assunto: RE: [council] FW: Joint Working Group to consider concept of
> How does this fit into our prioritization efforts? It's not on the
> current list of 15 projects. I would think that the RrSG would be
> interested in this effort, but I also think we need to figure out how
> it
> fits overall on the priority list. Of course, something we (RrSG) noted
> when completed our ratings was that three or four of the listed
> projects
> are very near end.
> Tim
> -------- Original Message --------
> Subject: RE: [council] FW: Joint Working Group to consider concept of
> From: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Date: Fri, June 11, 2010 10:05 am
> To: <KnobenW@xxxxxxxxxx>, <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> I made similar points to Chris Wolf.  He understands that a charter
> cannot be completed before Brussels but would just like to see the work
> getting started on the charter. I totally support your suggestion,
> i.e.,
> �The intention and the status could be announced by Chris and yourself
> in Brussels and the chartering team could start drafting immediately
> afterwards.�, and believe he is comfortable with that as well.
> But I would like to identify all charter DT volunteers by then if not
> before if possible.
> Thanks for the good comments.
> Chuck
> From: KnobenW@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:KnobenW@xxxxxxxxxx]
> Sent: Friday, June 11, 2010 10:50 AM
> To: Gomes, Chuck; council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: AW: [council] FW: Joint Working Group to consider concept of
> I understand Chris' request but would like to ask if the time pressure
> is that much that immediate action (before Brussels) is needed.
> We're really busy to cover all the more urgent items (e.g. New gTLDs,
> VI, PDP...) until that event.
> To avoid misunderstanding: there's great interest on CSG side to
> actively participate in a (pre-)WG offering technical, operational and
> managerial expertise, as well for chartering. But I don't see capacity
> available to be provided for immediate action.
> The intention and the status could be announced by Chris and yourself
> in
> Brussels and the chartering team could start drafting immediately
> afterwards.
> Regards
> Wolf-Ulrich
> Von: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
> Im Auftrag von Gomes, Chuck
> Gesendet: Freitag, 11. Juni 2010 03:41
> An: council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Betreff: [council] FW: Joint Working Group to consider concept of DNS
> Wichtigkeit: Hoch
> I forwarded the following message to the Council the yesterday and
> added
> the topic to our agenda for our meeting under Other Business.
> Unfortunately, as we ran out of time, I failed to cover it.  My intent
> was to simply ask if anyone objected to considering the formation of a
> WG as described by Chris and if not, to request volunteers to start
> working on a possible charter with volunteers from the ccNSO.  So I
> will
> ask those questions now:
> 1.       Does anyone object to considering the formation of such a WG?
> Note that we would not make an official decision to support such a WG
> until after we see a draft charter.  If anyone objects, please
> communicate your objection not later than next Wednesday, 16 June.
> 2.       Assuming there is no opposition, who would like to volunteer
> for the charter drafting team?  Note that this is not a request for
> volunteers for what might eventually be a WG, but only for a charter
> DT.
> Regarding question 2, there have already been some volunteers in
> response to my message yesterday:
> �         Terry Davis (NCA)
> �         Rafik Damik (NCSG)
> �         Greg Aaron (RySG, Afilias)
> �         Kathy Kleiman (RySG, PIR)
> �         Keith Drazek (RySG, VeriSign).
> If anyone else wants to volunteer, please communicate your interest on
> this list not later than next Wednesday, 16 June.  We will then
> communicate the names and contact information to the ccNSO.
> Thanks, Chuck
> From: Chris Disspain [mailto:ceo@xxxxxxxxxxx]
> Sent: Tuesday, June 08, 2010 9:54 PM
> To: Gomes, Chuck
> Cc: 'Cheryl Langdon-Orr'
> Subject: Joint Working Group to consider concept of DNS CERT
> Chuck,
> In our conversation last week we discussed the possibility of the gNSO
> and ccNSO (along with other relevant ACs and independent experts)
> setting up the working group contemplated in the joint Chair�s letter
> to ICANN of 25 March 2010 as soon as possible.
> I put this proposal to the ccNSO council on our call of 8 June and
> confirm that the council has agreed that in the event of the proposal
> also being agreed by the gNSO council, a small joint drafting team
> should work before Brussels to draft the charter for the establishment
> of a Working Group comprising representatives of ICANN�s Security and
> Stability Advisory Committee, Root Server System Advisory Committee,
> GAC, ALAC, CERT operators and ccTLD and gTLD managers to draw upon
> their
> collective expertise and to solicit their input on:
> �         the broad concept of a DNS-CERT;
> �         the current work being undertaken to mitigate DNS-related
> threats;
> �         the actual level, frequency and severity of these threats;
> �         the gaps (if any) in the current security response to DNS
> issues;
> �         whether or not a DNS-CERT is a proposal they support; and
> �         if so, the logistics of the proposal.
> The goal would be to have the charter approved by the ccNSO and gNSO in
> Brussels if possible so that we can announce the formation of the
> working group. I�m guessing that formally the working group will need
> to be a joint gNSO ccNSO group (as the 2 relevant supporting
> organisations that can actually make policy) with the charter mandating
> the involvement of the relevant ACs and outside experts.
> In the event that the gNSO council does approve the proposal then the
> action items will be a) to call for some volunteers to do the drafting
> along with Bart Boswinkel as ccNSO staff and an equivalent gNSO person
> and b) to approach the other ACs to inform them that this is occurring.
> I understand your council meets on 10 June 2010 and look forward to
> hearing from you regarding your discussions.
> Cheers,
> Chris Disspain | Chief Executive Officer
> .au Domain Administration Ltd
> T: 1300 732 929 | F: 03 8341 4112
> E: ceo@xxxxxxxxxxx | W:www.auda.org.au
> auDA - The Australian Domain Name Administrator
> Important Notice - This email may contain information which is
> confidential and/or subject to legal privilege, and is intended for the
> use of the named addressee only. If you are not the intended recipient,
> you must not use, disclose or copy any part of this email. If you have
> received this email by mistake, please notify the sender and delete
> this
> message immediately. Please consider the environment before printing
> this email.
> __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus
> signature database 5183 (20100608) __________
> The message was checked by ESET Smart Security.
> http://www.eset.com

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy