ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[governance-principles]

[no subject]

  • To: <governance-principles@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject:
  • From: "Marilyn S. Cade" <marilyn@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2005 09:41:15 -0400

This is my second post since my comments do not have appear to have been
received. I have posted them below, as well as attaching them in word form.

To; Governance-Principles

From: Marilyn Cade

Date: Friday, April 1, 2005

I am pleased to provide comments on the recently posted "Core Principles and
Corporate Governance Guidelines. I am supportive of ICANN having corporate
governance principles and welcome the opportunity for the community of
stakeholders to provide input and comments.

Concerns are first listed, and then discussed in more detail below, with a
recommendation for action on each item referenced.

Concerns:

A. The document should be renamed as "Corporate Governance Principles".

B. The document should be taken as a "first draft" in that it has not had
the benefit of the input of the community.

C. The document is directed at the relationship between board and staff,
rather than on the role and responsibilities of board  to the corporation.
It should be refocused appropriately.

D.  I do not support the Board signing this document in its present form,
and have questions about the Board being asked to sign any such future,
revised document.

Discussion of concerns:

The name of the document is confusing.  I might even borrow a phrase from
the trademark folks and say "confusing and misleading". :-)  The term "core
values" and the term "Strategic Principles"  are already phrases in use in
ICANN. "Core Principles" may be needed, and if so, could be developed, with
appropriate input from the stakeholder community. As it is drafted, it is
really a set of "guidelines".  Thus, I recommend to avoid confusion, simply
name the document what it is:  "Corporate Governance Guidelines".

This document is posted far too late for adequate feedback and review by the
stakeholders. I will not dwell on this issue in my comments, but note that
while I respect the Board and staff's time conflicts, and limitations,  I
think there must be improved attention and respect given to the time impacts
on the stakeholders when documents are posted so close to the actual
meetings that people are traveling to. The result of such late posting is
that little time is given for thoughtful consideration.

I am certain that is not intentional. Thus: I ask that  the ICANN board
committee responsible for the development of this document take into account
the need to enable an effective comment period. This is a critical issue of
we are to fulfill our commitment, as ICANN, to a consultative process with
the affected stakeholder community.

C. A chapeau observation: this set of corporate governance guidelines and
core principles appears to be drafted to address ONLY the relationship
between the board and the ICANN staff/especially the senior staff and the
board. 5 (e).  As such, I believe it is misdirected and should be
reconsidered and modified.

Like many involved in ICANN's stakeholder communities, I  have had extensive
experience in working with corporate and non profit boards, over a number of
years while at AT&T, where I helped to manage the corporation's relationship
and membership on many professional and trade associations and non -
profit/not for profit organizations.  Corporate governance was most always a
topic of discussion and work, and even more so lately, with the concept of
"corporate governance" permeating both the profit and not for profit worlds.
I welcome the development of corporate governance principles and note the
importance of the public comment and feedback process.

However, corporate  guidelines should be about the Board's duty to the
corporation/larger stakeholder community the corporation serves.  For the
most part, these guidelines have many good elements and can be supported.

However, especially 5 (e) is not appropriate, or at a minimum is very poorly
worded.

2.(f) this principle doesn't address how the Stakeholder community is kept
advised of the work of the Board, as appropriate. To the greatest extend
possible, while not putting the corporation at risk, decisions and
activities of ICANN's board should be made public. A better job should be
done of posting agendas of topics to be discussed and decided, a firm
deadline for posting of minutes and keeping to that deadline should occur.
Thus, I would recommend that a principle regarding Board communications be
reexamined, and a principle regarding timely, practical, appropriate
communications regarding board agendas, activities, processes, and outcomes
be developed.

C. I have assumed that ICANN Board Directors are subject to California
applicable law. I  support comments posted by others that state:"A director
is obligated to exercise independent and informed judgment and to make
his/her own determinations as to what constitutes the best interests of the
corporation. "

As a gNSO Councilor, I have been responsible for voting for two of the Board
members, as elected by the gNSO Council. I have always assumed the above and
have counted on those elected board members to fulfill their responsibility
to the corporation with integrity and commitment. Thus, 4 (d) makes both
sense and I believe is accurate.

However, 4 (b) is strange in that it attempts to tell a Director how to
manage their time availability. If the issue is that serving on a board of
an organization that is under contract to ICANN is an issue, that could be
addressed by a rewording of 4 (c).

D. 5 (e) should be stricken. It is both demeaning to everyone in its
inferences - both Board and staff - and sends the wrong message to the
community of stakeholders as well. Board members have a responsibility to
support the corporation. They also have the right to disagree with a
decision because they believe it harmful to their view as an independent non
Executive board member, of what is best for the corporation.  They would be
expected to express that disagreement professionally and within the bounds
of their role and responsibility as a board member (covered elsewhere in the
principles).

I do not support the Board signing this document in its present form, and
have questions about the Board being asked to sign any such future, revised
document.

There are many good elements of these guidelines. By eliminating the
problematic elements, the positive aspects of the guidelines will be
furthered.

Again, I welcome the opportunity for the community of stakeholders to
provide comments on what I hope will be a first draft of the Core Principles
and Corporate Governance Guidelines.