ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gtld-council]

[gtld-council] Re: [council] GNSO PDP new TLDS: Call for further information

  • Subject: [gtld-council] Re: [council] GNSO PDP new TLDS: Call for further information
  • From: Ross Rader <ross@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2006 11:29:18 -0500

Bruce -

After reading this document (which I haven't entirely digested yet) it occurred to me that our "project plan" isn't quite clear. I am not familiar with the iterative consultation model that it appears that we are moving forward with. This makes it difficult for me to understand a) what deliverables my constituency will be required to provide down the road and b) how these deliverables will be treated. This draft of the document requests that each constituency refine its position in order to facilitate a consultation with other supporting organizations. I am unclear how this fits into the policy development process and equally unclear whether or not similar requests will be made of the constituencies in the future.

It would be useful if our work plan could be clarified and a more definite project plan be produced. This will help me work more closely with my constituency, mindful of the larger requirements of the work plan ahead of us. Consultation with a group as large as the registrars can be costly and time consuming - it is very difficult to undertake a consultation and provide quality results on a seemingly ad hoc basis.

Thank you in advance for any further clarity that you can provide.

-ross

Liz Williams wrote:
Dear Colleagues

I have attached for your review a document which sets out a request for additional information on the technical selection criteria for new TLDs.

The document focuses on four key questions around technical criteria which we discussed at some length at the Washington meeting.

Could I ask you and your constituencies to come to Wellington with more detailed information about your positions (and the justification for those positions based on ICANN's mission and values)? We would then be able to move forward with discussions about the appropriateness of other selection criteria and allocation methods.

I will be delivering to you all, I hope by the end of this week, an updated version of the new TLD /Initial Report/ in which I have included Washington inputs and other information.

I would expect to be working on that /Initial Report/ during the two day session planned for 25 & 26 March.

Kind regards and, of course, any questions come straight back to me. If necessary, we could add quick discussion of this document to the agenda for next week's Council call.

Liz

Liz Williams
Senior Policy Counselor
ICANN - Brussels