ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gtld-council]

Re: [gtld-council] Discussion on allocation methods

  • To: Bruce Tonkin <Bruce.Tonkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gtld-council] Discussion on allocation methods
  • From: Thomas Keller <tom@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 14:42:01 +0200

Bruce,

not having participated on that discussion I'm somewhat confused by the
approach of creating categories and the examples (I assume that the one
below are merely examples) of how such categories could look like.
E.g I don't understand neither the difference between

Commercial (e.g .com, .retail)
and
Unsponsored  (e.g .biz)

which are to me and I assume the end user as well, all TLDs sometimes but
not always being utilized for business purposes, nor do I understand the
pupose of this approach.

Best,

tom

Am 27.03.2006 schrieb Bruce Tonkin:
> Hello All,
>
> Below is the outcome of our discussions on which allocation methods have
> support.
>
> Regards,
> Bruce Tonkin
>

> 1. First-come, first-served with either auctions or lottery to deal with
> contention (e.g similar strings).  Where possible scale ICANN resources
> to meet demand.
>
> 2. Comparative evaluation to deal with contention with respect to:
> -     limited resources to add new TLDs at any point in time
> -     similar strings, similar purposes, similar communities
>
> 3. Create categories of TLDs (e.g TLDs for commercial purposes, TLDs for
> non-commercial purposes) , and select the appropriate method above for
> that category.
>

> CATEGORIES
>
> -     Commercial (e.g .com, .retail)
> -     Non-commercial (e.g .edu, .museum, .charity)
> -     Unsponsored  (e.g .biz)
> -     Sponsored  (.museum, .travel)
> -     Unrestricted or Open (com, net, org, info)
> -     Restricted or chartered (.mil, edu, .travel)
> -     IDN related to an existing TLD
> -     IDN for a new TLD
> -     Place names  (.asia)
> -     Family names
> -     Famous names and titles
> -     Language or cultural group (.cat)
> -     Brands and trademarks

Gruss,

tom

(__)
(OO)_____
(oo)    /|\     A cow is not entirely full of
  | |--/ | *    milk some of it is hamburger!
  w w w  w