ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gtld-council]

Re: [gtld-council] Regarding outreach to other groups within ICANN

  • To: "Bruce Tonkin" <Bruce.Tonkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gtld-council] Regarding outreach to other groups within ICANN
  • From: "Sophia B" <sophiabekele@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 09:37:19 +0300

Bruce,  I am not sure I understand your statment below, could you please
clarify? who are the GNSo constituancies and who are not?   where does the
general public fit here and/or specific individuals, say who are subject
matter experts...tx.

Just to be clear - we are not "required" to seek advice/input from
> specific bodies other than the GNSO constituencies.

On 19/06/06, Bruce Tonkin <Bruce.Tonkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello Marilyn,

> We are required to. Seek input from relevant SOs and advisory
> groups, and we sld discuss this process in some detail in Marrakech.

Just to be clear - we are not "required" to seek advice/input from
specific bodies other than the GNSO constituencies.

The ICANN Board is required to seek input from the GAC on public policy
issues, and "may" request input from advisory groups such as SSAC and
ALAC.

We are required to take public comments - which can be from individuals,
businesses, and groups such as GAC, ALAC, individual Governments etc.
We also have liaisons with GAC and ALAC which may facilitate obtaining
public input.

However I agree that it would be worthwhile to specifically target
outreach to groups such as GAC, ccNSO, and SSAC as part of our public
comment processes.   We should however highlight areas of our work that
would be of most interest to such groups.  For example, SSAC could
advise on minimum technical standards, and ccNSO may wish to comment on
reserved word strings such as cctlds (e.g a new gTLD may not use a
string from the set of two letter country codes etc).

Regards,
Bruce Tonkin