ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gtld-council]

RE: [gtld-council] Regarding using capitals

  • To: "'Bruce Tonkin'" <Bruce.Tonkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <gtld-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gtld-council] Regarding using capitals
  • From: "Ray Fassett" <rfassett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 11:30:03 -0400

Hi Bruce, I see your point and that makes sense.  But now that I look at
this, is 2.4 really a Selection Criteria or better placed under the section
Contractual Conditions?

There is a confusing element to 2.4 & 4.6 that I think we need to address.
2.4 uses the word "all" whereas 4.6 provides definition taken directly from
registry contracts (i.e. both public and authoritative source documents for
our committee to utilize for its intent).  To Ross' point, I think the
definition should be as clear as we can make it using factual resources we
have available to do so.  My suggestion is as follows:

1. Place the obligation by the TLD operator to conform to Consensus Policies
under the section Contractual Conditions and not under Selection Criteria.
This means delete 2.4.

2. Use capital letters consistently for Consensus Policy wherever cited in
the section: Contractual Conditions.

3. Add the link you are suggesting to 4.6

As it stands, 2.4 and 4.6 can be interpreted to contradict which opens
exposure to third party confusion, certainly not our intention.

Ray

Hello,

Let me try that again:

I suggest that if we do use terms with Capitals, that we link this to a
definition in the policy document.

For example "Consensus Policies" could be defined as those listed at:
http://www.icann.org/general/consensus-policies.htm

Regards,
Bruce Tonkin