ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gtld-council]

Re: [gtld-council] new TLDs Work Plan 2007

  • To: ross@xxxxxxxxxx, Liz Williams <liz.williams@xxxxxxxxx>, Bret Fausett <bfausett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, gtld-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gtld-council] new TLDs Work Plan 2007
  • From: "Your Name" <harris@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2006 03:37:15 -0800

I agree with both Bret and Ross.

The consultation with GAC is happening
during this meeting. Also, I am surprised
at some comments that I have heard, which
suggest we should wait on the success of
IDN proceedings before introducing
new gTLDs. Obviously, once IDN functionality is
established and operationally sound, this can
be incorporated into operations of the existing
and any newly incorporated gTLDs.

Tony Harris

> [...]
let
> them manage the consultative input from the other parties as input
> their deliberations when they are deciding to approve the
> recommendations or not...
>
> -ross
>
> Liz Williams wrote:
> > Bret
> >
> > You must have misunderstood what was contemplated.  As you are
aware,
> > there has been much discussion and input from a wide range of
> > stakeholders at this meeting and we are yet to have substantive
> > discussions with the GAC.
> >
> > We are not in a position to release a final Draft Report until
> > consultations have taken place with the other SOs and ACs.  In
addition,
> > the GNSO IDN Working Group has just begun its work and there are
> > elements of that work that are highly relevant to the new TLDs
report as
> > a whole.
> >
> > You are also aware that we are entering the Christmas season and,
whilst
> > work will be continuing, it will not be at the current rate.  You
are
> > also aware that Committee members are committed to two other PDPs.
> >
> > If we can bring the dates forward we will do that but we must
ensure
> > that we have adequate clarification of the draft recommendations
as they
> > stand -- the Committee needs to do more there; we must ensure we
have
> > input from other stakeholders and we must ensure that we, as
closely as
> > possible, post documentation that allows sufficient time to
consider
> > many other views.
> >
> > Liz
> >
> > Liz Williams
> > Senior Policy Counselor
> > ICANN - Brussels
> > +32 2 234 7874 tel
> > +32 2 234 7848 fax
> > +32 497 07 4243 mob
> >

> > On 06 Dec 2006, at 21:21, Bret Fausett wrote:
> >
> >> I'm confused. I was under the impression that our report was
close to
> >> complete and that shortly we would be in a position to submit the
> >> report to
> >> the Board (December 2006-January, 2007). My expectation was that
an
> >> RFP for
> >> new TLDs would be forthcoming in ICANN's Q4 (April-June 2007),
with
> >> new TLD
> >> applications submitted in ICANN's Q1 (July-October, 2007). Keep
in mind
> >> Board Resolution 06.23,* which called upon the GNSO to complete
its
> >> part of
> >> the work by January 1, 2007, so that ICANN could move forward with
> >> implementation. Certainly conducting final consultations in
Lisbon, at
> >> the
> >> end of March, is far beyond what I contemplated, and well outside
of the
> >> Board resolution.
> >>
> >> If I'm reading the proposal correctly, the dates in this timeline
> >> contemplate three more drafts: the first by 26 January 2007, the
> >> second by
> >> 26 February 2007, and a third and final sometime "[b]etween
Lisbon and
> >> Puerto Rico meeting." ** That's two too many drafts and at least
five
> >> months
> >> more than necessary. Under the PDP (Annex A to the Bylaws ***),
we
> >> need to
> >> provide 20 days public comment on the report. 10 days after this
comment
> >> period, we need to produce a final report, which can be voted on
by the
> >> Council.
> >>
> >> My suggestion is that we call the comment period as soon as
possible,
> >> on the
> >> current text or something very close to it. To the extent
constituencies
> >> have not yet commented, they can do so in the public comment
period.
> >> During
> >> the 10 day revision period, I recommend that we take upon
ourselves,
> >> as the
> >> Council, the job of producing the next iteration of the report,
with
> >> Staff
> >> assistance as necessary and appropriate. And yes, I'll be
replaced
> >> soon on
> >> the Council, but I will stay involved, on behalf of the ALAC, in
the two
> >> PDPs underway until they wind up. I'm not passing this to someone
> >> else. ;-)
> >> I would volunteer to be part of a small drafting committee to
produce the
> >> final text during that 10 day window.
> >>
> >> If we follow this path, we could be in a position to forward the
Board a
> >> report by the end of January, 2007.
> >>
> >>       -- Bret
> >>
> >> --
> >> * http://www.icann.org/minutes/resolutions-31mar06.html
> >>
> >> ** PROPOSED TIMELINE
> >>
> >> 15 December 2006: send AC and SO correspondence seeking input
> >>
> >> 20 December 2006:  Constituency's submit comments on draft Final
> >> Report to
> >> gtld-council list [BC already submitted]
> >>
> >> 26 January 2007:  Release updated version of draft Final Report
> >> incorporating Sao Paulo inputs, updated constituency positions,
> >> placemarker
> >> for GAC public policy principles, restructured report with
principles,
> >> policy recommendations and implementation guidelines
> >>
> >> 6 February 2007:  Committee conference call to discuss updated
draft
> >> Final
> >> Report; confirm whether F2F meeting is necessary to complete
Final
> >> Report in
> >> preparation for Lisbon meeting; submit Final Report to Council
for voting
> >> and transmittal.
> >>
> >> 26 February 2007:  Post Final Report and commence formal public
comment
> >> period.
> >>
> >> 26 - 30 March 2007:  ICANN meeting Lisbon.  Finalise
consultations and
> >> inputs; consider public comments; conduct another
implementation/policy