ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gtld-council]

RE: [gtld-council] new TLDs Work Plan 2007

  • To: <gtld-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gtld-council] new TLDs Work Plan 2007
  • From: "Bruce Tonkin" <Bruce.Tonkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2006 01:52:36 +1100

Hello Bret,

> The schedule Bruce just announced at the Public Forum is
> good. If I understood him correctly, he foresees a final
> report approved by Council and submitted to the Board at the
> Lisbon meeting. The final report, however, would include an
> implementation plan, a draft RFP, and a draft standard
> registry contract. That's a broader scope that I had
> contemplated. I expected that implementation, the RFP and the
> registry contract would be created by staff after the Board
> had approved our higher-level policy recommendation. If we
> can accomplish what Bruce described by Lisbon, and I expect
> we can, we'll have moved this process forward considerably.

Yes - I think you missed the discussion we had with staff on Sunday, but
the idea is to be working on all the implementation issues and documents
in parallel.   These documents may not be finalised by Lisbon, but I
hope that at least we will have drafts that can be incorporated in our
final report, and hence speed the eventual implementation of the
recommendations.

My view is that unless we have some "prototype" documents we don't know
whether our recommendations are sufficiently well drafted to be
appropriately implemented.

Regards,
Bruce Tonkin