ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gtld-council]

Re: [gtld-council] string criteria

  • Subject: Re: [gtld-council] string criteria
  • From: Ross Rader <ross@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2007 10:22:48 -0500

On 1-Mar-07, at 3:51 AM, Philip Sheppard wrote:

"Strings should not infringe the existing legal rights of others that are recognized or enforceable under generally accepted and internationally recognized principles of law".

Question from a layperson - What is a principle of law? Isn't this is bit vague as to be useful on a practical level?

On the larger point, of whether or not a string infringes the legal rights of others, isn't this why we have courts and other judicial processes? In other words, isn't this going to put ICANN in the position of having to figure out what those rights are and determine whether or not a specific string might be infringing someone's rights?

I must confess that I'm not completely aware of the context of David's proposal, so to the extent that it actually says "strings shouldn't infringe, but if they do, ICANN isn't going to get in the middle of it" then it should be fine. Otherwise, ICANN should get out of the way and rely on external processes to take care of these types of concerns.

Ross Rader
Director, Retail Services
t. 416.538.5492
c. 416.828.8783
http://www.domaindirect.com

"To solve the problems of today, we must focus on tomorrow."
- Erik Nupponen