ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gtld-council]

Re: [gtld-council] string criteria

  • To: gtld-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gtld-council] string criteria
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2007 11:11:36 -0500

Hi,

On 1 mar 2007, at 03.51, Philip Sheppard wrote:

I too support David Maher's proposed re-wording and suggest this text based on his excellent
input:

"Strings should not infringe the existing legal rights of others that are recognized or enforceable under generally accepted and internationally recognized principles of law".

I do not understand how ICANN adjudicates between various rights claimants (or where it gets the authority to so adjudicate).

Isn't this the province of followup challenges in the courts etc?

So while it may fine for us to declare that as a general principle of a good thing - i certainly do not want strings to infringe on the rights of the commons, it does not seem something that ICANN can or should do anything about.

a.