ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gtld-council]

Re: [gtld-council] Regarding consensus

  • To: Bruce Tonkin <Bruce.Tonkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, gtld-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gtld-council] Regarding consensus
  • From: Robin Gross <robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 02:44:11 -0700

I have not seen the majority consensus that supports this controversial draft proposal on new gtlds. I question this point. I think we need to have some discussion as to whether the existing draft policy for new gtlds does, in fact, reflect the view of the majority of the gtld-council. I have had conversations with other council members who also question the direction that this policy takes.

It seems to me that we are rushing to conclude this policy recommendation, perhaps for administrative reasons; but it is no where near a coherent policy that reflects the reality of existing international law, or the reality that an ICANN process could, as a practical matter, decide between competing public policy goals or differing views of morality.

So I'd like to propose three things:

1. Discuss whether the existing draft policy actually reflects the consensus view of the committee.

2. Accept input from neutral outside experts regarding how this draft policy tracks existing international legal standards for trademark rights and free expression rights.

3. In February, NCUC made a proposal to amend the draft policy recommendation, and the draft has yet to deal with the NCUC proposal in any way. http://www.ipjustice.org/ICANN/drafts/022207.html So I respectfully request that the policy development process deal with, or at least explain, why these proposals are not being considered.

Thank you,
Robin

I think it comes down to whether the point is seen as a "friendly
amendment" - ie in someway enhances the current recommendation, or
whether the point is essentially an argument against the recommendation
as a whole, or is a completely new recommendation.   The recommendations
as they are drafted are intended to reflect the staff's understanding of
the majority.