ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gtld-council]

RE: [gtld-council] PDP Dec 05: Recommendation Chart & Responses Required

  • To: "Liz Williams" <liz.williams@xxxxxxxxx>, <gtld-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gtld-council] PDP Dec 05: Recommendation Chart & Responses Required
  • From: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2007 13:43:50 -0400

I thought we were not going to approach this on a recommendation by
recommendation basis.

Maybe its just me, but simply using the MS Word tracking function would
have made it easier to identify the changes made.  In the case of
recommendations 3 and 5, it doesn't seem totally clear what the final
recommendation is, what text was added or deleted, and what comments
were moved elsewhere.  In particular, I think the GAC text was supposed
to be deleted in recommendation 3; is that correct?  For recommendation
5, is all the orange text just notes for elsewhere in the document?  If
that is the case, then 5 looks fine to me.

If I understood correctly in today's meeting, I thought that
recommendation 3 should be worded like the following (with my addition
in lower case font):  ". . . Examples of these principles INCLUDE BUT
ARE NOT LIMITED TO THOSE FOUND IN THE TRADEMARK SECTION OF THE PARIS
CONVENTION, the right to free speech as contained in THE UNIVERSAL
DECLARATION OF HUMAN RIGHTS AND THE INTERNATIONAL COVENANT ON CIVIL AND
POLITICAL RIGHTS."  Another alternative that seemed to be acceptable is
this: ". . . Examples of these principles INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO
THOSE FOUND IN THE PARIS CONVENTION, THE UNIVERSAL DECLARATION OF HUMAN
RIGHTS AND THE INTERNATIONAL COVENANT ON CIVIL AND POLITICAL RIGHTS."
(I think the point made by Robin was that, if you are going to call out
trademarks, you should also call out free speech.  Did I misunderstand?

I have a minor point on 12 that I did not bring up regarding the change
suggested by Olof.  What do we mean by "the start of the APPLICATION
process".  If that means prior to when applications may be submitted,
then I am not sure that is best.  Wouldn't it be better if it happened
prior to the 4 month period prior to the application submissing period?

In my opinion all of the recommendations are complete except the
following:

3 - We need to make sure we are agreed on the wording and I think it
would be helpful to understand how we will deal with the recommendations
of the PRO-WG before finalizing this one.  I believe we made excellent
progress on this today.

6 - We need to make sure we are agreed on the wording and I think it
would be helpful to understand how we will deal with the recommendations
of the RN-WG regarding controversial names before finalizing this one.
I believe we made excellent progress on this today.

12 - Just need to agree on final wording; should be easy.

20 - I am okay with the current wording but it will be helpful to get