ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gtld-council]

RE: [gtld-council] NCUC stmt on new gtld policy recommendations

  • To: "Avri Doria" <avri@xxxxxxx>, <gtld-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gtld-council] NCUC stmt on new gtld policy recommendations
  • From: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 09:55:07 -0400

Avri,

You seem to making some huge and inaccurate assumptions in terms of what
my message said.  Please note my responses below.

Chuck Gomes

Chuck: I don't believe that I questioned the validity of the comments at
all; in fact, I specifically stated that the opinions in the document
were valid and should be considered.  It just did not seem clear to me
that the statement was in fact an impact statement, so I asked for
clarification and Robin provided it.

>    It we get into the practice of people from one
> constituency staring into other constituencies with an eye of
> questioning or judging the validity of their activities we
> will have more problems on our hands then we could possibly
> wade through.

Chuck: Where did this come from?  Is it because I asked how many
non-commercial organizations were involved in developing the statement?
That to me seems like a valid question to ask for all constituency
statements.  The amount of involvement does not in any way mean that the
input is invalid but it does provide data that can be used in
determining how well the input represents the broader community.  If it
doesn't come from a fairly representative sample of the constituency
community, maybe there is need for more outreach.  How would we know
that if we don't answer the question?  Isn't that what 'bottom up' is
supposed to mean?