ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gtld-council]

[gtld-council] Recommendation 6

  • To: <gtld-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gtld-council] Recommendation 6
  • From: "Philip Sheppard" <philip.sheppard@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 10:45:34 +0200

I believe this wording was the best supported coming out of our last meeting:
(The text below adds a small edit from earlier discussion changing "enforced"
for
"recognised" to avoid need for legal debate. The examples are merely guidance
for the panel
to make such a determination):

"Strings must not be contrary to generally accepted legal norms relating to
morality and
public order that are recognized under international principles of law.

Examples of such principles of law include, but are not limited to:
the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR),
intellectual property treaties administered by the World  Intellectual Property
Organisation
(WIPO),
the WTO Agreement on Trade-Related  Aspects of Intellectual Property Rights
(TRIPS),
the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR),
the Convention on the Elimination of all forms of Discrimination Against Women
(CEDAW) and
the
International Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Racial
Discrimination."

Can we agree to the above and say job done ? (and expect an NCUC minority
report).
Philip