ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gtld-council]

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Re: [gtld-council] Recommendation 20

• To: gtld-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gtld-council] Recommendation 20
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 10:25:58 -0400

hi,

If i understand Philip and Chuck's proposal, they are asking whether the following has support in the committee.

Please correct me if I have the question wrong and please comment on the wording. If you cannot accept it yet, please suggest wording changes that:

a. make it work better for you
b. you think would still be acceptable to others.

Please remember that we trying to arrive at wording that is at once clear and which has the greatest possible support.

I have added one element to the suggestion, and am recommending that the definitions be included as Implementation Guideline P.

Please let the list know whether you support the following changes:

rec20 - revised

"An application will be rejected if it is determined that there is substantial opposition to it from a significant established institution representing a sector or community for which the string may either be explicitly or implicitly targeted.

Opposition must be objection based: application staff will monitor public comments and where appropriate explain the objection procedure to an objector with standing.

The sector or community should be interpreted broadly and will include for example an economic sector, a cultural community, or a linguistic community.

Explicit targeting means there is a description of the intended use of the TLD in the application.

Implicit targeting means that the objecting institution makes an assumption of targeting or that there may be confusion by users over its intended use".

---

IG P

In the implementation of of an objection process, the following should be included:

Substantial Opposition: A procedure including required documentation will be prepared by ICANN. This documentation will include elements such as a detailed description of the sector or community affected and the nature of the harm it would cause that sector or community to have the TLD granted to the applicant.

Established institution: While the normal criteria should be for an institution that has been in formal existence for at least 10 years, in exceptional cases, standing may be granted to an institution that has been in existence for fewer then 10 years. Exceptional circumstance may relate to reasons such as: organization was reorganized or merged with another organization, community is younger the 10 years.

Formal existence: This is defined by an appropriate form of public registration or clear public historical evidence. Third party validation by a government, Intergovernmental organization or well known established institution (e.g. International Red Cross, a Bar Association, a Medical Certification Body) may also be used.
----------------------------------------------

thanks
a.

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy