ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gtld-council]

RE: [gtld-council] Updated recommendation table - new IGP (h)

  • To: "Mawaki Chango" <ki_chango@xxxxxxxxx>, "Avri Doria" <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gtld-council] Updated recommendation table - new IGP (h)
  • From: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 14:36:33 -0400

Mawaki,

I must be missing something because it was my understanding that we
already accomplished what you are suggesting.  In particular, the
Guidelines section in IG-P start off like this:

"Guidelines
The task of the panel is the determination of substantial opposition.
a) substantial
In determining substantial the panel will assess the following:
significant portion, community, explicitly targeting, implicitly
targeting, established institution, formal existence, detriment."

Then each of the terms is defined.  So isn't clear that the panel would
have to determine whether the objector provided sufficient evidence that
there may be detriment? If the panel was unable to verify the validity
of the detriment from the evidence provided, then they would undoubtedly
reject the complaint.  Similarly, if the panel could not verify from the
evidence provided by the complainant that the extent of the detriment to
the overall community, they would most likely reject the complaint.  On
this latter point, it seems to me that the panel would need to determine
whether or not a "significant portion" of the total community would
experience detriment so it appears that covers your concern about the
extent of detriment.

Chuck Gomes