ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gtld-guide]

New gTLDs Applicant Guidebook comments by NIC Mexico

  • To: "gtld-guide@xxxxxxxxx" <gtld-guide@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: New gTLDs Applicant Guidebook comments by NIC Mexico
  • From: "Oscar A. Robles Garay" <orobles@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2008 17:01:45 -0600

Dear Paul, Kurt
and all members of ICANN Staff.

we submit some observations and recommendations in an effort to collaborate on
having a fair and successful round for the introduction of new gTLDs.

In general we believe that the RFP as-is pictures a process that falls too far
from being fair and equitable. It imposes severe restrictions and high walls to
the introductions of new, innovative business models. From our perspective as a
ccTLD Registry Operator of a developing country, we also believe that this
process will bring benefit only to big registry operators with dotcom-like
business models, preventing new, innovative and value adding business models
from being added to de domain name system.
We are very concerned about this fact, because if in the past ICANN has faced
the threat of alternate-roots that promote the introduction of new and
attractive TLDs, we believe that this threat could rise again but stronger if
ICANN fails in putting together a process that is open, fair and equitable for
the introduction of new gTLDs.

Please see the attached document for our comments organized by module.

Best Regards

Oscar A. Robles-Garay
CEO
NIC Mexico