ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gtld-intro]

My opposition to new gTLDs

  • To: gtld-intro@xxxxxxxxx;
  • Subject: My opposition to new gTLDs
  • From: Lee S Parsons <parsonsl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 15:25:43 -0500

Dear ICANN

I am concerned about the impact that new global top level domains (gTLDs) could have on the users of the internet. In particular, I am bothered by the possibility that this could drastically increase the amount of spam and phishing email that is sent and received by internet users.

The reason for my concern is due to the role that registrars play currently in with regards to domains that are advertised by spam or phishing emails, and how in my eyes they fail to live up to their obligations. Many domains that are registered for spam or phishing purposes are registered with data that is known to be incorrect (often easily found by virtue of the data also being incomplete or invalid). However, in the case of these registrations, the domains in question are often sold by a short list of registrars who are known to be friendly to those who send out spam and phishing emails. In the current situation, with the case of registrars selling domains with bad whois data in the .com domains, the bad whois data can be reported through your form. However, if new gTLDs are sold, where would be the proper avenue for these complaints? It seems as though the TLDs themselves could become almost impossible to track in terms of responsibility, and I fear that the final arbiter of domain registration validity for these new TLDs could end up being the owners of the new gTLDs themselves - at which point spam and phishing domains would have guaranteed safe havens for registration.

I hope my concerns are clear on this issue. I feel that selling new gTLDs would open up the internet to a new wave of activity from spam and phishing sites that would no longer be held to any level of responsibility.

thank you