ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gtld-intro]

New opportunity for Phishing

  • To: gtld-intro@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: New opportunity for Phishing
  • From: Dan Buzzard <Dan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 14:22:47 +0900

The new TLD (.anything) opens the door to a new wave of phishing activity.

What will happen when phishers register addresses such as microsoft.update?

I also feel that it undermines the value of domains already in existence since people will be free to register very close variations of my domains which may lead to confusion amongst end users.

~Dan