ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[hstld-final-report]

HSTLD Position - Eric Brunner-Williams

  • To: hstld-final-report@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: HSTLD Position - Eric Brunner-Williams
  • From: Eric Brunner-Williams <ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2011 11:14:14 -0400

Colleagues,

Like Mikey O'Conner, I prepared a document I wrote as a working-paper for the final report drafting effort.

A meta-comment. The inability to reach consensus, and the predicate condition of ability to re-evaluate assumptions and compromise, common to both the Vertical Integration Working Group and the High Security Zone Top Level Domain Advisory Group, over the past 12 months, may not be unrelated. In each, “a group of participants that engage in ICANN's processes to a greater extent than Internet users generally” have intractably pursued advocacy policy goals, resulting in process failure, the logical desired outcome.

In an individual capacity, though my participation in the High Security Zone Top Level Domain Advisory Group, beginning only after the publication of the initial report, spanned affiliation with CORE, which has worked in this area since 2007, a period of no affiliation, and a current affiliation with the NARALO and therefore ALAC.

Eric Brunner-Williams
Ithaca, NY