ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[hstld-program-snapshot]

HSTLD Program Comments

  • To: hstld-program-snapshot@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: HSTLD Program Comments
  • From: Jon Nevett <jon@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 20:46:24 -0400

I'd like to commend the work of this group in preparing a model for a high
security zone TLD.

I agree with the almost uniform view of the Working Group that such a program
should be voluntary in nature.  It might be appropriate for some TLDs and not
for others.  Indeed, it might be appropriate for one use of a TLD of the same
name and not another.  For example, a .cancer TLD that is being used to share
medical research data containing patient personal information might be more
appropriate for this program than a .cancer TLD that is intended for survivors
to share their success stories.  Because one size doesn't fit all and some TLDs
would not warrant the additional expense that would come with making the
program mandatory, I agree with the recommendation that the program be
voluntary.  If TLDs that are part of the program are more successful marketing
this feature in the marketplace, then more TLDs will want to join as well.
That choice should be left to the consumers.