ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[iana-idn-process]

IANA Root Zone Procedures for Test IDN Deployment

  • To: iana-idn-process@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: IANA Root Zone Procedures for Test IDN Deployment
  • From: David Wrixon <david@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2007 08:24:55 +0100

Dear Iana,

I am very interested in the IANA Root Zone Procedures for Test IDN Deployment as we already have thousands of IDN names.

I have to say, I am left completely baffled by the proposals.

If the Labels inserted have no value, then they are unlikely to have any traffic either. What exactly are you proposing to monitor?

Even if you put in the Aliases from Dot Com that are included in the DNAME, the amount of traffic you are likely to get is minimal. We are monitoring traffic on IDN.com with the ASCII extension. The traffic is still currently tiny. We would expect that even with the DNAME Aliases of Dot Com proposed by Verisign that initially the traffic is going to be very small. The only extensions that could conceivably get significant traffic at this stage is the IDN version of dot CN, and even then only if the ISPs in China stop intercepting the traffic before it goes to the ICANN rootservers and directing directly to CNNIC.

If you wish to find out more about IDN Traffic and its monetization (currently that is a laugh), then please visit, DNLocal dot Com where our experts will be more than happy to assist.

Please if you are going to do some testing, then test something meaningful!

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon