ICANN ICANN Email List Archives


<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Re: Reply to Tina's comment re: Sammy

  • To: <iana-idn-process@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: Reply to Tina's comment re: Sammy
  • From: "Tina Dam" <tina.dam@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 08:51:55 -0700

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your concern. The answer to your question depends largely on
which IDN Committee you are thinking about since there are several of these
in the community right now.


However, on the DNAME side of things there was several issues related to
starting any technical reviews. First of all there is no policy decision
surrounding aliasing. Secondly, back when DNAME was discussed as a potential
solution it was quickly discovered that we could not make it part of the
initial technical evaluations - for example, issues such as the root-server
software not supporting DNAME; that the RR was at the time an open item
being discussed at IETF; along with other concerns from experts in the
technical community. That said, ICANN is open to initiating some research in
the area of 'aliasing' as soon as the policy discussions show that this is a
direction that we need to go.


Meanwhile we have used resources on moving forward on the NS-record area
without waiting for an "aliasing decision" to make sure that we did not
un-necessarily slow this piece down.


I hope that makes sense and addresses your concern. Please let me know if
you have any additional concerns or questions.


Best regards,


Tina Dam

Director, IDN Program




<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy