ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[icg-forum]

A Holistic Proposal

  • To: "icg-forum@xxxxxxxxx" <icg-forum@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: A Holistic Proposal
  • From: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2015 19:47:19 +0000 (UTC)

A proposal regarding the transition of NTIA's stewardship of the IANA functions
to the global multi-stakeholder community:
Inasmuch as we are seeking an entity to inherit the NTIA's role, one would
presumably want to ask "Which currently existing entity is best positioned to
take over this role?"
Such an entity should ideally be:
   - international in composition

   - universally trusted

   - in possession of the requisite expertise with protocol parameters, numbers
and names
   - structured in a manner that excludes the prospect of capture by
governments or inter-governmental organizations
   - committed to the security, stability and resiliency of the DNS
   - possessing a stellar reputation, beyond reproach, that would meet the
needs and expectations of the users of the IANA services
   - committed to the openness of the Internet
   - an organization with accountability mechanisms in place.
I see all these qualities in the IAB.
Do I know whether the IAB would be willing to rise to the challenge?  No.  I
have, however, sent a note to the IAB asking them to consider the proposition.

As the IAB is a construct within the Internet Society, do I know whether ISOC
would be willing to support such an initiative?  Again, the answer is no, but I
am reaching out to parties within the organization in order to begin a dialogue
on the topic.
As ICANN, through its articulated Core Values, appreciates that coordination
functions may be delegated, I see no issue with the broader ICANN community
endorsing such a role for the IAB, nor do I see any issues with potential
global multi-stakeholder support for such a proposition.
I trust the IAB.