ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[icm-options-report]

Further Consideration of the ICM Application for the .XXX sTLD

  • To: <icm-options-report@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Further Consideration of the ICM Application for the .XXX sTLD
  • From: "Freddie Drive" <Freddie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 18:59:17 +0100

I believe that .xxx will assist certain web filters to exclude certain types
of pornographic content, however it most definitely will not prevent
children coming across pornography online as not all individuals will stick
to the .xxx TLD.  Therefore I believe that there is very little
justification in creating this TLD.

The web is not a toy and parents need to act responsibly if they want to
police what their children see.  .xxx could certainly be filtered but porn
and adult themed concepts never could, so increased parental vigilance is a
much better solution than segregating content to a OEback alley¹ that
children will be able to access the minute that they become a little bit
computer savvy.

.xxx would create a OEdirty¹ feel to an area of the internet and I do not
believe that this is in anyone¹s best interest.  The Internet is a
wonderful, free, melting pot where people from all walks of life, with
differing beliefs can come together to exchange ideas, fantasies, creativity
and thoughts.  Inherently this will be a place where adult themes and
concepts will be explored, not just in pornography but in religion, art,
science and politics. These adult concepts cannot all be policed &
segregated in case children accidentally come across them.

Web filters are a good idea but .xxx is a lazy and flawed solution, which is
patently just a money spinner for the registry company involved.

Freddie