ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[icm-options-report]

Re establisment of .xxx

  • To: <icm-options-report@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re establisment of .xxx
  • From: "Samantha Bryan" <samantha.bryan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2010 12:03:12 +1000

I wish to oppose the proposed establishment of a .xxx domain for
pornography.

Given the devastating effects of pornography upon men and consequently their
families and the community, we must be doing all we can to stamp out this
sinister trade, rather than lending support to it. Establishing a .xxx
domain would lend legitimacy to the pornography industry by making its
unsavoury wares more accessible and by sending a message that pornography is
acceptable and mainstream. Furthermore, it would only serve to increase the
amount of pornography on the internet and make it more easily available. It
is naive to assume that establishment of a .xxx domain would serve the
community by having pornography businesses leave the .com domain. They would
continue to pollute the .com domain as it is the source of their income.

I have witnessed the destructive effects pornography has had upon some of my
friends' marriages and cannot support the establishment of a domain which
will add to the likelihood of more families suffering. It may be argued that
there is already access to pornography on the internet. True. There are also
landmines throughout our world which injure, maim and kill innocent people.
However, the world generally does not support the placing of further
landmines, knowing that such would only increase the possibility of more
lives being adversely affected. Additionally, many people of compassion and
integrity contribute financially or practically to the removal of existing
landmines.

Pornography sites are  landmines upon the fields of the internet. I urge the
decision-makers within ICANN to oppose the placing of further landmines
through the introduction of a .xxx domain. I would also exhort them
personally and corporately to do all they can in the fight to rid the world
of any pornographic landmines already placed within the internet.

Yours sincerely,

Mrs Samantha Bryan