ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[idn-cctld-fast-track]

2nd Review on DRAFT Final REPORT - Recommendations for Fast Track by IAS

  • To: "idn-cctld-fast-track@xxxxxxxxx" <idn-cctld-fast-track@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: 2nd Review on DRAFT Final REPORT - Recommendations for Fast Track by IAS
  • From: "ias_pk@xxxxxxxxx" <ias_pk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 11:05:57 -0700 (PDT)

2nd Review on
Draft Final Report
Recommendations for Fast Track
By Imran Ahmed Shah

With reference to the Draft Final Report and my previous comments, I would like
to point out disadvantage of a Fast Track to Introduce limited numbers of IDN
ccTLDs:

It has been a common practice with ICANN that the total cost of the issuance of
new TLDs (from the Policy development to the configuration with root servers
for new TLD + the cost of all  meeting held in this regards), is divided on to
the expected number of applicants and that is fixed as a Non-refund able fee of
Application for TLD.

If the same practice is followed for a limited numbers of ccTLD introduction
through a Fast Track, the total cost will be divided by this limited numbers of
IDN ccTLD quantity and will be fixed as Application Fee. This will make the
cost of first IDN ccTLD very much high.

There are about 250 Territories listed with in ISO3166-1, which may need to
obtain their separate identity with IDN ccTLD and about 200 out of them will be
able to fulfill the requirements by the end of Year 2009. But right now if the
Fast Track is launched for about 25 IDN ccTLD's (to use the meaning of limited
quantity) the total cost which could be divided into approx. 400 applicants for
main 200 IDN ccTLD that will be divided into about 50 expected applicants for
short listed 25 IDN ccTLD's. It mean that the cost of the Fast Track may cost
about 8 times high in fact.

Proposed Solutions:

Option 1:
It is proposed that the Fast Track may please be delayed until the preparation
of all 200 territories for this task.

Option 2:
2nd option is proposed to divide this Fast Track onto 4 parts.
Fast Track 1,
Fast Track 2,
Fast Track 3,
Fast Track 4.
And these Fast Tracks may be launched for 50 ccTLDs each time with occurrence
after each 6 months.
So the cost will be divided onto pro-rata basis.

Option 3:
3rd option is proposed to divide the all current + 2 year expense of the
introduction of all 200 IDN ccTLD at initial stage and expected applicants
during 2 year for all 200 IDN ccTLDs and this cost may be charged from the
applicants. This final low cost will be charged during this Fast Track and same
cost will be charged from the applicants of future IDN ccTLDs..

Note: Please also refer to the public.icann.org for my previous proposal for
the fee structure and its division with in 3 parts.

The consideration of the above 4 proposals will make the equal distribution of
cost among all applicants with out any objection and transparently.

Best Regards

Imran Ahmed Shah

0092 300 4130 617